Did you mean: 

Plusnet Abuse Team - Blocked my email due to Spam server issues

FIXED
MalcFarms
Hooked

Plusnet Abuse Team - Blocked my email due to Spam server issues

Hi

I received an email fo  the Plusnet Abuse Team - in summary: 

''During the Monitoring of our platform, we noticed a  number of unsolicited emails are being sent from a remote IP address using your account login credentials.

The most probable reason is an insecure or weak password, possibly plain text which could have been obtained by a local virus/keylogger or brute-forced using normal dictionary words. Due to the resources required to handle such high quantities of email, there is the potential for this situation to negatively affect other users of our email platform and the reputation of our mail servers.  

We have therefore taken the temporary measure of blocking your access to the email servers. This means that you will be unable to send or receive emails.''

That makes sense and i agree with the course of action.  However, i now want to reinstate with a stronger/cryptic password etc.  How though! 

The email was sent from a ''No Reply'' email address and i cant log onto my email as its credentials are now wrong. If i try to reset as per 'forgotten password' i cant log into reset.  Forums suggest i phone but there is no option on the telephone number for Email!  

Anyone!?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Plusnet Abuse Team - Blocked my email due to Spam server issues

@MalcFarms Welcome to the forum.

I do not use the Plusnet email platform but assume that the password in question is also your Plusnet account password? If so can't you log into your account and change the password there?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MalcFarms
Hooked

Thanks for the thought.  I don't usually either as i have it set up within Outlook.  I'm originally a Freenetname customer->Madasafigh->PlusNet as its its gone through its various mergers!  

Anyways, tried webmail for both Madasafish and Plusnet. I cant get into Madasafish webmail at all (wrong password!). I can get into PlusNet which seems odd but good.  However, if i log out and hit 'forgot password' so it sends me a link to reset - the link doesn't arrive!

I'm guessing it has to be a central Admin driven thing to deal with.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi @MalcFarms 

To change your password, login to your PN account, choose Manage Account and the third link under Account Details is Change Password

Dave

ps Thanks for your post, it jolted me into changing mine

MalcFarms
Hooked

Glad i could be of service! Wink

Unfortunately this doesn't apply to me as i only have legacy email - no broadband/mobile package with plus net and therefore 'no account'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@MalcFarms Welcome to the forum.

I do not use the Plusnet email platform but assume that the password in question is also your Plusnet account password? If so can't you log into your account and change the password there?

Hi @Baldrick1 

Given that you do not use the email platforms, this is a dangerous assumption!  It presumes that this is a Plusnet (or Force9) user and that the email address in question is the default email address.

The routes to resolution of this profile of issue is very dependent on which ISP (or vISP) the user is with and where the account permits it, if the email address in question is the default or an additional address.

@MalcFarms 

A warm welcome to the forums - for the benefit of others who might come across this topic - when discussing email password issues, it is helpful to be clear about which ISP the query refers to and if it is the default or a secondary email address.  Does this 'stock' answer help...

Reset email password

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Are you able to login to the email address using webmail? If not then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has has its password changed.  Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the account password is left unchanged.

For Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users you can only change the password on your DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address.  If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the user portal AND that required by the router to connect to the internet. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MalcFarms
Hooked

Hi Townman,

Thanks for jumping on this.

You are correct in the assumption that i don't have a PlusNet account.  Mine is a legacy vISP (Freenetname to Madasafish).

It seems as though Tech support has altered the password has been altered which mean i can view emails for my master and secondary account via webmail.plusnet which is a good temporary workaround but when (as per Stock Answer) I try to go via MAAF i cannot log on with either master email or secondary as it states 'incorrect password'  I'm thereofore unable to change my password to a new one. 

I'm guessing i therefore need to contact Support - but how? 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Fix
In the circumstances you describe I’m afraid it’s telephone only as the agent will change the address there and then and advise you of the temporary password.

That said I’m a little confused by part of your response. You say you can access both default and secondary email addresses via web mail. That somewhat implies you know the email address passwords? Might we be looking at a different issue?

If you can access the mailboxes, then you can use the MAAF portal to request a password reset email.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MalcFarms
Hooked

Thanks Townman,

Im assuming i just use the 0800/0345 number and press for support on the broadband as there is no email election offering.

Regarding being able to access my email via webmail - yep - agreed its weird! 

Cant do that via MAAF (where i would also be able to reset password!) but can do via PlusNet portal (where i cant access password) - hey ho!

Thanks again for the support and help - will sit on the phone (tried a few times but gave up waiting as wasnt sure that was the right way to go)

Cheers again.