Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet rejecting some email

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: PlusNet rejecting some email

This is probably a very silly question but I have a website and email hosted on 1&1 but my email comes directly from the 1&1 server - is the only reason for forwarding the ability to pick them up from Plusnet webmail

In my case ( and I suspect others ) I only have a basic domain registration with 1&1/Fasthosts. This doesn't actually host anything but just gives a forwarding facility for email & website redirection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alastairp

@radman1

Oh dear, what a bummer! Yes, my account is a legacy one, moved over from a provider (5quidhost) that TSOhost took over. I was just about to move my account to one of their new packages but maybe that's not a good idea in light of your response.

Just a thought: for new customers, TSOhost do offer either a "CPanel hosting" option or a "Cloud Hosting" option (that uses some other management software). I don't know much about either option but wonder if perhaps the CPanel one might still offer SRS as that's the software that my legacy account uses.

Good luck!

Alastair

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't know whether Cloud Hosting affects it but I have a website using Cloud on TSOHost (needed for Wordpress support) and forwarded emails from that account get through with no problem

Note TSOHost is not FastHost

madgav
Grafter

Same issue here as many others. I've had 2 domains with 123-reg.co.uk for about 10 years now with no issues. As of a few weeks ago emails from my work address and my wife's work address stopped getting through, confirmation of flights booked never received, kids not able to use their email addresses for school work, etc.

I raised a ticket with 123-reg first and after a bit of investigation they determined that the emails were forwarding ok but PN's server was bouncing them (550 SPF Validation Failed). So I raised a ticket with plusnet last Wednesday but no reply yet! Hence the post here (PN are pushing online chat now but that is less useful and doesn't work from my work PC anyway).

Any word on a solution to this issue? I can't go on missing emails. Also, what's the problem with the PN ticket system?

Having read this thread I have now disabled spam filtering so we'll see how that goes. However I have zero tolerance for spam so if this doesn't work out I will have to look at any & all other solutions.

SilverE
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I suspect PlusNet aren't going to change, despite being unnecessarily draconian. You could ask 123-reg why you are not get SRS rewriting, as I am.

One workaround might be to have 123-reg forward your mail to an Outlook.com account: you can pick up from there by POP or IMAP just as from PlusNet. I've set this up as backup. 123 do multiple forwards so you can send to both Outlook and PlusNet.

madgav
Grafter

Thanks, I have just added that info to my support ticket with 123-reg.

I do have one or two other email addresses that I could forward to in addition to PN addresses, including an Outlook one and a gmail one. However I'd look at that very much as a limited short term workaround since I have 15 PN mailboxes and double that number of addresses on 123-reg forwarding to them. Also I'm not sure my daughter would want all of her emails forwarding to me. Not a very pleasing situation Angry

SilverE
Grafter

Ah, more complicated than mine, I only separate out 3 from the catchall. You can set 123 to forward your daughter's email address to a separate account for her, doesn't have to go to yours.

madgav
Grafter

Yes, that would be possible although I'd have to set up a new address to forward to for her, somewhere that isn't Plusnet.....

I had to bin the catchall, it was a magnet for spam !

madgav
Grafter

Prompt response from 123 (take note PN!)

Unfortunately not the right answer from our point of view!

"

The SRS (Sender Rewrite Scheme) has been part of the plan for our email servers, and may be implemented with a future update.

However, our developers have not provided a confirmation or an ETA for its availability, I'm afraid. 

This functionality would need to be implemented at server level and there are a number of aspects that need to be taken into account, when determining its feasibility. 

Please bear in mind that the email forwarders are free services and therefore subject to certain limitations. 

In the meanwhile, you could set a Gmail or Yahoo address as the destination of your forwarders, since these providers have not implemented the SPF verification. 
"
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Translation:

We've not done what we should have done ages ago; while you wait for us to get our fingers out you could try forwarding to Gmail or Yahoo and pray they are just as tardy as us! If they do start doing things properly you will be stuffed again.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SilverE
Grafter

Succinctly put...

But a bit odd as 123 have been rewriting mine for the last week. I do have a proper mailbox at 123 which is paid for, but as they have got SRS working it can't be a problem to apply it to the plain domain hosting package (which is paid for and includes basic forwarding I assume, so not free).

All these forwarding services are going to have to wake up. SRS rewriting is a required part of running a forwarder, those don't do it they will lose customers. The coding for it is given out on openspf.org, how hard can it be?

But PlusNet have got too far ahead of the game by rejecting SPF fails instead of marking them as (potential) spam. Especially as no-one was told about the change, and no-one knows when a perfectly valid email is rejected. They too will be driving customers away, especially the more savvy ones that have their own domains. Perhaps they want to dumb down to BT levels. I am only here for the cheap broadband (esp. after referrals).

radman1
Hooked

@alastairp: the whole wretched business is a bummer! When I contacted Tsohost for a simple domain hosting/email forwarding package, they said they couldn't forward with SRS.

Rather than keep posting another Domain Hoster/Forwarder who doesn't support SRS, I've spent time containing a bunch of them by chat, email and phone. I have yet to find anyone who will support SRS for new accounts (it seems that some lucky folk on legacy systems are able to get proper forwarding). Here's my current list of those who don't:

Fasthosts
Baremetal
Easydns
Tsohost
123-reg
Bluehost
Godaddy
EasyDNS
MyDomain.com

Anyone know a company that does???

I'm waiting for a couple more replies. When the list is larger and/or I've lost the will to live, I'll (try to) raise a support ticket at PN and put this list in it. Breaking email like this is enough of a failing that I reckon I'm entitled to move to another ISP without penalty...

A couple of the support folk I've talked to who know about SPF (and who are considering implementing SRS) opine that PN's approach is over-draconian this early in the SPF game.

SilverE
Grafter

An impressive list. Any comments from PlusNet @bobpullen ? You're definitely too early to be hard-rejecting.

radman1
Hooked

...it was that or paint the garage door.... 😉

radman1
Hooked

Some hope at last from the tenth service I've tried! I've just received a reply from namecheap.com as follows:

We would like to inform you that our Free-Email forwarding service uses Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS) for rewriting the envelope sender address of an email message, therefore, it should suit your needed.

In case your domain name is registered with Namecheap, you will be able to set up our Email forwarding service after switching to our BasicDNS servers. Feel free to refer to this article if needed: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/308/76/how-can-i-set-up-free-email-forw... .

Yet, if your domain is registered elsewhere, you may consider using FreeDNS or PremiumDNS servers to configure email forwarding. You can read more about these services at: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/subcategory.aspx/51/freedns and https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9726/2231/how-to-purchase-premiumdns-fo... .

Given my limited knowledge of DNS,  I'm not sure about their second suggestion if your domain is registered elsewhere. Is this saying that you can make namecheap's DNS your only/first DNS and thus your email will go to their forwarder which provides SRS? In Fasthosts configuration, I can specify name servers as an alternative to their own.

It may be less messy to cut Fasthosts loose and transfer domain hosting and email forwarding to namecheap.