cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus net mail box full, but cannot access it to delete emails

chrisroy
Hooked

Plus net mail box full, but cannot access it to delete emails

I keep getting messages that my mailboxes are nearly full and I should delete some emails.

Problem is that I cannot access my emails on the plusnet site as the system always times out before it loads.

Have reported this in the past  and one operator was going to raise a ticket on it, but never did.

No one at plus net seems to be able to sort it and I just need to delete a few thousand of the older emails.

If I could get in I could do it myself.

It cannot be beyond the capabilities of plus net techs to sort this, so why all the problems?

16 REPLIES 16
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Plus net mail box full, but cannot access it to delete emails

@chrisroy,

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  There are on-going performance issues with the (Roundcube) webmail service.  If you cannot configure a local IMAP email client, you might fair better with the "Basic WebEmail" option (SquirelMail).  Just tried it on one of my mail boxes and it was quite a lot faster.

It will help you if you go into the settings and increase the number of items displayed per page.  Sorting emails by sender might also help you clean up.

Remember to empty the deleted items (trash) folder after deleting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with webmail.

Have you tried setting up your e-mails on a mail client? The performance seems to be better in this way. If you're unsure how to do this, I'd recommend following the steps here.

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrisroy
Hooked

I do use an email client. MS Office 16 Outlook desktop version.

That works fine and is set to delete emails on your server when deleted on my laptop.

However I want to keep all of my back emails on my laptop so will not be deleting them.

Surely it is not beyond your capabilities to delete all emails in my main account that are older than 12 months.

I have asked for this in the past but your operative never raised the promised ticket.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@chrisroy As you use MSO Outlook as a client, I have a question - is there not an option within the settings to tell the client to delete the emails from the server at either 'x' days after them having been opened, or even, as I do immediately?

If you enable either of these options, maybe Outlook will delete old mail from the server - can't guarantee that, as I don't know how Outlook works.

<Edit deleted>

John
chrisroy
Hooked

It does work like that, but I don't want to delete several hundred emails from my laptop as I may need them in the future, so my only option is to delete them from Plusnet servers, which is currently not possible.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Setting deletion of emails on the server when deleted on your laptop seems an odd approach if you've no intention of deleting them. Huh

If you want to retain archive copies of emails a better approach would surely be to use the automatic (or manual) archive facilities built into Outlook 2016 which are designed for controlling online mailbox size? These are accessed from the File -> Info -> Tools -> Clean up old items menu.

Have you considered using these tools?

David
chrisroy
Hooked

Put that way it is odd, but I do need to delete some emails and at least my settings now help to slow down the online buildup.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Do you mean you do delete most emails but some you need to keep? Wouldn't moving these to an archive folder (or folders) kept on your laptop be a suitable approach? Moving them deletes them from their original folder so they would be deleted from the server.

What you are asking Plusnet support to do at the moment is possible, but not routine and carries risk. In my opinion it is beyond the scope of the service we should expect to receive.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Reading between the lines you are using outlook 2016 with a POP3 connection?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrisroy
Hooked

Correct, on a Surface Pro 4 with win 10.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In that case moving items from inbox to a local folder should remove them from the server.

chrisroy
Hooked

Surely access to my online mailbox IS and should be within the scope of the service we can expect to achieve.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is but as previously advised there are known performance issues with large mailboxes when accessed by webmail. Both have similar problems but Squirrel Mail is simpler and faster.

chrisroy
Hooked

Just to clarify, I have a number of folders that each contain specific topic emails, standard position for many users.

If I were try moving emails to other folders I would have to replicate all of my folders and then the task of locating specific emails when required would be that much more complex.