cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net turned on my spam filter AGAIN!

seanbranagh
Grafter

Plus Net turned on my spam filter AGAIN!

Who the hell do Plus Net think they are?! I turn off my spam filter only to have Plus Net turn it back on. I cannot remember how many times I have had to do this.
It is not Plus Nets job to decide by default that they will filter my email especially when they are doing a very bad job of it, otherwise I would not have to go looking for perfectly good emails.
This should NOT be enabled by default on email accounts!
13 REPLIES 13
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Plus Net turned on my spam filter AGAIN!

This should NOT be enabled by default on email accounts!

If you look at the product line up, "Value" (Stereotypically) aims at non-tech savvy users.
So yes, it should default to ON.
If you make regular changes to mailboxes it may switch on again (as the default for the mailboxes is on) - so i would expect it is resetting to "ON" because one of the mailboxes has been amended/edited/added ?
Any word from PN about this possible bug though?
Regards
seanbranagh
Grafter

I was a Plus Net Premium customer for years when they first started ditching my emails without asking first. I complained several times about it but it kept happening. Every time they would do any sort of work on their mail system my email would suddenly start to disappear again. It happened again as a business customer.
The only reason I got any spam was because Plus Net leaked many of our addresses to spammers some time ago.
As for people who are non technical having a spam filter on by default, I could not possibly disagree any more. Should someone in my local post office stand and decide which letters should be delivered to me and which shouldn't be delivered to me by default without ever informing me? No, I do not think so.
With new email addresses spam will never be a problem at the start, even after years with a well looked after address, spam will not be a problem large enough to need a spam filter.
New customers should have the option turned off as they will not receive spam to start with anyway. If spam starts to before a problem over time then they can switch the filter on. As I said previously, it is not for Plus Net or any other company to make this decision.
seanbranagh
Grafter

The big issue I have had with Plus Net's spam filter is that it completely ignores the settings and rejects some mail. I have a vps with Eukhost and at 2am daily Webmin control panel runs an automated backup to another vps. Upon completion the server sends an email. Using my Plus Net address this email will arrive in my inbox with the spam filter turned off. With the spam filter turned on and set to send spam to the spam folder, then email completely disssapears despite other mail arriving in the spam folder. Can anyone explain this to me?
Also when my spam filter is turned on I find much more spam in my spam folder in a 24hr period than I do in my inbox in the same period with the spam folder turned off? This is making me question if Plus Net is rejecting mail sent to my address regardless of which settings I use. I would open a ticket about this but I really cannot be bothered waiting days for a response as I have done several times in the past.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Using my Plus Net address this email will arrive in my inbox with the spam filter turned off

I am assuming that your webmin has a domain, do you have a mail.subdomain, with MX records set up - and a txt record with an SPF field?
Hotmails 'Help' wizard with SPF
(SPF is normally the reason servers mark a high 'spam score' as it looks like the mail is coming from a non-existant or forged domain.
Should someone in my local post office stand and decide which letters should be delivered to me and which shouldn't be delivered to me by default without ever informing me? No, I do not think so.

Your analogy only works if it was Plusnet who was sending the spam (e.g. Royal mail sending out masses of junkmail itself - because they do) the fact that PN ballsed up and now many customers get a large amount of spam daily is now unavoidable,
I would open a ticket about this but I really cannot be bothered waiting days for a response as I have done several times in the past.

Doesnt seem "Urgent" to me, whats the problem with opening a ticket, and letting it run... ?
it is not for Plus Net or any other company to make this decision.

They dont, you can turn the spam filter off at any time. The DEFAULT is correct, i dont understand why you think a non-tech user would NOT want the spam filter on??!!
Its worth noting, that ive got two accs, one from 2009 - one from 2003 - never had this problem before - just checked and both are still set to "OFF" - have you been making any changes to mailboxes, etc. recently?
Hopefully bob or someone from PN will give you an answer, but a ticket would have been the best way to get an answer tbh.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Sean
With the spam filter turned on and set to send spam to the spam folder, then email completely disssapears despite other mail arriving in the spam folder. Can anyone explain this to me?

With the spam filter on, some messages will be rejected by the SenderBase Filter (because the sender has a known bad reputation).  Other messages will pass this filter but be marked as spam for other reasons, and these will be disposed of as you have requested (ie, in this case, sent to your spam folder).
HTH
Chris
seanbranagh
Grafter

My server has MX records, SPF records, RDNS records and is running email for about 30 users on a selection of domains. None of them have ever reported a problem with undelivered mail.
I have checked my IP address against every blacklist I can find and am unable to find any issue or record. My server does not have a "known bad reputation". Even if it did, I have the Sender base filter turned off so why are the emails getting deteted?
This is clearly a fault with the Plus Net mail system, not only is it deleting the email without reason, it is also doing it even though I have the option turned off. I need to use this address for this purpose as the other addresses I use are provided by the server in question.
matt_2k34
Grafter

if you are relaying by plusnet, is it possible that one of your users is sending out a considerable amount of mail (or - your server as a whole?)
Depending on yoru settings- plusnet can add a delay to the handshake between sending mails - which if you server does not like- may appear to send them, but PN hasnt opened the connection to receive said mail (hence, deletion)
Regards
seanbranagh
Grafter

Mail from my server does not go anywhere near Plus Net, my server does everything.
I opened a ticket weeks ago about why Plus Net are ignoring my settings when it comes to "disregard obvious spam".
As usual I wait up to a week at a time for a response each time only to get a response from someone who has not even read the question asked. Instead I am fed more irrelevant links to information on their website.
This is part of the reason that I left PN as a broadband customer. Can the customer service really be that bad or do they just not like me?
Thankfully I am slowly moving away from using the email address completely. I only now have it as a "Just Mail" account as I did use it for years and cannot be completely sure yet that I have transferred to new addresses for all services where I had this address registered.
ChrisL
Rising Star

If you have spam filtering disabled (in Manage My Mail), then your email simply won't go through the spam-handling machinery and cannot be deleted by it. Your problem must be originating somewhere else. What evidence do you have that Plusnet is deleting your messages?
Best wishes
Chris
seanbranagh
Grafter

The evidence I have is very simple, the message arrives at absolutely every other email address I have tried sending it to. It also arrives at my Plus Net address with Spam filtering turned off.
With Spam filtering turned on and "Discard Obvious Spam" turned off the email should arrive somewhere, either my Inbox or Spam folder but it does not. This is exactly the issue that has been raised to Plus Net and so far ignored by Plus Net.
ChrisL
Rising Star

Quote from: Sean
It also arrives at my Plus Net address with Spam filtering turned off.

Ah, I misunderstood this point. Sorry!  My guess is that your problem is a difficult one to reproduce, which would make it very difficult to solve. I don't think it has anything to do with Plusnet ignoring your spam settings; if they could do this, then the problem would be more widespread. I reckon you're going to have to speak to someone in Support to get anywhere with this.
Best wishes
Chris
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have already tried speaking to someone in support, I just keep getting responses as if they have not even read the original issue and each response takes days at least!
Interestingly, this email does arrive in the inbox of both Hotmail and Gmail accounts, not even the spam folders although I really prefer not to use free webmail accounts.
cpcnw
Rising Star

Sean, you spent far to much energy on all this and lifes too short - if its for a known
admin / server status message just use one of your other addresses and move on.
If on the other hand you really want to know why its happening and where its happening
the only option you have is to be as persistent with the support ticket system as you have
been in posting here.
I reckon if you had, you might have an answer by now.