cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net Email cant set up into my Apple Mail

colouredcob

Plus Net Email cant set up into my Apple Mail

I have done all that the Plus net guide has shown me but when I try to get mail via the computer the new mail accounts are not highlighted and they keep asking for my password which I put in but they keep failing.  Any help please as I am pretty dim when it comes to doing anything other than send and receive mail and surf the web!
Thanks in advance
Cob
7 REPLIES 7
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Plus Net Email cant set up into my Apple Mail

Welcome to the Community forums Cob.
So you've been through all the steps in the guide, did you set the account to be 'online' at the end? Also which version of Mac OS X have you got? (Just to make sure we're looking at the same thing)
If that isn't the issue then we'll have to go through the settings you have in Apple mail, one by one and see if anything is amiss.
That's RPM to you!!
colouredcob

Hi Thanks for the reply,
Set the account to be online hmmmm not sure and where will that be?  I can give that a try.
When I try to get mail it says the pop server rejects the password
I am on Mac OSX 10.6.8
Thanks again for any help.
Cob

RPMozley
Pro

Well, if it's saying that then either the name or password is incorrectly set.
The user ID is in the form of USERNAME+MAILBOX (where username is the main PlusNet account) and use the corresponding password you set in the 'Manage Mail' section within the PlusNet members portal/centre.
That's RPM to you!!
colouredcob

I can log in to web mail using the passwords I set up, are the passwords not the same to do it through the computer mail programme?  I can manage mail ok online through the plus net site but it wont configure.  I must be doing something really obvious or its just a matter of unticking a box somewhere maybe?
If I cant get this sorted I will just use google mail and dump the plus net because I loose my virgin and NTL emails (Had for over 5 years)in a matter of days now and dont have time to keep trying to work this out
Thanks for your help and reply again.
Cob
RPMozley
Pro

They should be the same as webmail, yes.
Hmm... Must be somewhere else that's wrong. I'll take a look at the settings in Apple Mail later on once I'm on the MacBook, as I'm currently using my iPod touch to reply quickly to you. Then I'll be able to walk you through where to check settings and see if anything is wrong.
That's RPM to you!!
RPMozley
Pro

OK, on the MacBook now.
Places to check are as follows (all within Mail Preferences->Accounts):

• For each Account you've set up check that the "Account Type" matches the "incoming email server" - either IMAP or POP3 corresponding to imap.plus.net or mail.plus.net

• User name should be in the form as I said earlier (and the same for webmail) and corresponding password.

• Next switch to the "Advanced" tab. Everything should be ticked in the top half. The bottom half should have "Use SSL" unticked and "Authentication" set to "Password"

That's all there is to check on within Mail. The final thing to try before giving up is to try recreating the account again.
That's RPM to you!!
colouredcob

Thanks so much going to delete the mailboxes and try again
Cob