cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! Emails are going to be deleted........

GE90
Grafter

Please Help! Emails are going to be deleted........

Hi all
I spent a day last week changing over from POP3 to IMAP, so I can access all of my emails on my phone etc.
All good! However, I have received an email from Plusnet saying I have exceeded my 1GB server limit.
I could try to clear out my mailboxes, BUT I cannot seem to find the mailbox sizes, to enable me to see whether it is achievable to get under 1GB...... Any ideas?
Can increase my limit? Any other solution, other than to store them locally....?
Many thanks, GE90
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Please Help! Emails are going to be deleted........

There's an add-on for Thunderbird "Extra Folder Columns" that can be configured to show folder sizes. Otherwise Webmail will provide this.
After logging in on Webmail, click the Gear Wheel button (bottom left) and choose Manage folders. Select a folder and in the display pane you will see Size Click to get folder size. Do what it says and make a note of the size. Repeat for other folders, then add up to get the total.
You would have to logout and login to other mailboxes to get size information for those.
David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi GE90,
I usually ask on the support ticket associated with the warning (see here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search) to be informed of the size of each email box so that I know where to focus my effort, as across the family and other purposes, I have around 8 email boxes.
Given that you are switching to IMAP (I recall our discussion) there is some possibly that you have pushed much more mail than you realised up to the server.  In swapping over from POP3 to IMAP, there might (in your situation) be benefit in only moving the comparatively recent emails which you NEED to see across all of your devices.
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GE90
Grafter

Thanks guys. I have set up local folders with exactly the same file names, and will simply keep about 1 months worth of emails in each, and move the rest on a monthly basis to the respective local folders.
Just wish I could set up something to do this automatically! In Apple Mail, I cannot apply separate rules for each folder to copy to the respect local folder...
Been thinking about changing over to a web based email address, as the lints are higher, and might offer a better solution in the long run. Not rushing to do this, as I don't really want to change my email address.
Thanks again