cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone as well as my pc

Mik
Hooked

Phone as well as my pc

I want to be able to receive emails on my phone as well as my pc... with plusnet webmail (i use win live for pc) is it possible to do this?

I get messages from plusnet that stay on webmail but any other emails get redirected straight to win live on pc, i need to be able to access emails on webmail through my phone as well as my pc... any one got any clues as to how to do this? as webmail is very basic i know.

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Phone as well as my pc

@Mik 

There are two ways to set up email clients.

1. IMAP. With IMAP your emails stay on Plusnet's servers and will remain there. They can therefore be accessed from any computer.

2. POP3. With POP3 emails are downloaded from Plusnet's servers and depending on the settings may be immediately deleted.

I have set up the email account on my main computer Email Client (Outlook 2019) to POP3, but have adjusted the settings so that they are left on the Plusnet servers for 2 weeks before being deleted. This gives me two weeks to access them from other devices using web mail before being cleaned from Plusnet's servers. If you do this make sure that you keep regular back ups of your main computer.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mik
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1

Thanks for your reply, seems I have similar set up on my client but I didn't have the settings for saving on server checked! however, I have now done this with 60 days before deletion ( just to be safe) but after changing settings I still cannot see emails on webmail server...

any further suggestions to where I'm going wrong would be appreciated.

Thx

Baldrick1

@Mik 

Have you received any emails since making the change? It won’t make deleted emails reappear.

Moderator and Customer

Mik
Hooked

Yes I sent myself one from another email I use, received it on win live mail but it didn't register on webail...

Mik
Hooked

I know I wont be able to get old emails back, fortunately that's not what I'm after Smiley

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @Mik

Thanks a lot for reaching out. It sounds like you've got your Windows Mail account set up via POP3, it's taking emails from our server and is downloading them to your PC.

Are you please able to remove your Plusnet Mail account from your PC and set it up again, using the instructions found here:- https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

You need to set your account up via IMAP to prevent the emails being downloaded from our server.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Baldrick1

@adam945 

The way I have suggested and the way the OP has allegedly set their email client up is to use POP3 but leave the messages on your server for several weeks before deleting them. I haven't bothered to check recently with my rarely used Plusnet account but are you saying that this will not work? I am going out but will check mine later.

outlook.jpg

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Baldrick1  I can confirm it does work, that's how I have my PN email setup. The only downside is that items sent from the POP3 PC will not be visible in the Sent folder on the other IMAP clients.

Are you please able to remove your Plusnet Mail account from your PC and set it up again, using the instructions found here:- https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

@adam945 removing a POP3 account will delete all the existing email contained in that account, so is probably not a good idea

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@MisterW 

Agreed, mine works exactly as predicted.

I’d missed the advice to delete POP3. Assuming that it held stored messages then what can one say, apart from keeping regular back ups are good if you use POP3. At least then you can recover the situation.

Moderator and Customer

Mik
Hooked

Hi Adam 

I don't really want to remove my email account to reinstall as MisterW  suggested I would lose a lot of emails that I don't want to lose!

So it seems I'm not going to be able to do what I wanted.

From the how to page you sent...

POP

1. Emails stay on the Plusnet system until you check them on your computer
  2. Then your emails move from the Plusnet system to your computer
  3. They won't be on the Plusnet system anymore
  4. Your emails stay on your computer so you can read them even if you aren't connected to the Internet

Line one says emails stay on the plusnet system until you check them on the PC, but they don't appear on the plusnet system at all even if I open the web client before I check on the PC, so I'm assuming they are kept away from the web client and are just put in stasis somewhere until the pc fetches them.

Thanks all for your time and effort with helping me with this, its much appreciated!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Mik  2 & 3 are not necessarily true. Yes, by default most pop clients will delete from the server when the email is downloaded buthey have an option to leave messages on the server as you mentioned earlier. If that option is checked then they WILL still be on the server and available to Imap clients.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @Mik

Thanks a lot for your response, yeah I can imagine it being frustrating having to remove and re-add your accounts to change it from POP3 to IMAP, in this case though, I do think that this is the next best thing to try. It does appear quite odd that even though you have the option selected to keep emails on the server for 60 days, you're still not seeing your emails.

Do you have all of your folders on webmail ticked?

I've had a look into your inbox (I can't see the contents of your emails) and can see 4 emails, all received on 25/10/2021. Are you able to see these on your side when logging into webmail?

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Mik
Hooked

Hi Adam

Yes I can see those 4 emails, there was many more up until a few days ago but they vanished (maybe because I checked the box to delete after 60 days on my live client, idk?)

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Mik, it sounds like the second email client is working then as any emails before you made the change will have already been pulled from the server and stored on your PC already. Since the change was made however, you should be able to access any new emails from both clients.