Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal email address.

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Personal email address.

I don't really understand the technicality of this so please bare with me.
When we first got BB we registered a 'private' email [it bears no ISP name whatsoever]  with Nominet, other than a registration fee of £2 I don't think we paid anything else to anyone.
That email was linked to Freenetname who was bought out by MAAF > MAAF now belongs to PN.  Since I changed to PN in 2009. I have paid £20 pa to MAAF have my email forwarded - Justmail.
My questions are:
Does that email have to go through MAAF?
Does it belong to us or does it belong to FNN? I wonder if it was a freebie as long as we had an account with them.
Can it be moved via any ISP eg straight to PN? If so how?
I don't have a problem paying £20pa as keeping that address [it's the only we have used for last 15yrs] is the most important thing - I simply don't understand the system.

2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Personal email address.

I think the Plusnet Essentials and Unlimited products allow one .co.uk domain to be registered and hosted for email at a cost of £1 per month. You should be able to transfer hosting and registration for your current domain to Plusnet to take this up.
This would mean emails arrive directly at Plusnet and go into your account-based mailboxes.
David
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Personal email address.

Be wary about full hosting with Plusnet as their renewals are quite expensive at £52.88 for two years for .co.uk, .org.uk and .me.uk domains. Even more expensive for other types.
I was stung this way many years ago but found two workarounds.
1) just change the nameserver's to PlusNet's (hosting only) and have them controlled by another company like 123reg
or
2) move your domain to another host just before renewal and then move back once renewed (probably around the £8-£9 mark for two years for .co.uk domains) see Full Control Transfers
As long as you don't move hosting from PN within the first year of transferring in then it is free.
If the above has changed since I did it years ago then someone will come along and put me right.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still