Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password required on sending

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Password required on sending

I have recently installed a HDD in my laptop... running windows 7 pro.. with thunderbird as email client... emails arrive ok.. but since installing this hdd, ( been in store for a few months out of laptop)... when I try to send an email, it asks me for my password every time... this did not happen with previous hdd... please advise what setting needs changing so that I can just click on "send" and it goes, without me having to input my pn password every time.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Password required on sending

You're back Thumbs_Up

Do you not get a dialog box appearing asking you if you want to save this password once you have entered it?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  Strangely.... I have just replied to your reply to my email... and it requested a password.. ( I think there was a box there about saving passwords, but it was , ( if I remember ) to do with using master passwords, which I don`t use...

so.. after reading your post... I decided to send myself a test message, and it just sailed away, with no request !.. so  maybe its a kind of " trainging " thing, on the server... i.e. it gets used to your ip address, etc.. not being satisfied, I then sent another test to myself, using another email address, and that too, went with no request for password... so ... we shall see..  !

Yeah, I`ve not been away.. been skulking in the shadows... ! 

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

nice to see back here Smiley

@shutter

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's certainly not a training issue @shutter, I think you will find that the prompt will reappear either when the cached password expires or your restart your client.

You don't need to use a master password, I don't and I use TB as well, the master password is optional.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK   have logged out of windows 7 and been pratting about with Linux on a USB stick... like crawling through treacle trying to get FF to load up a Google search page... and then another crawl through another load of treacle to get anything downloaded.. so back on here... thought I would do another email check... and this time, it is asking for my password again.

there is a box underneath which says.... " Use password manager to remember this Password"  

[ O K ]                                [Cancel]

I don`t use a password manager... so should I tick the box  ? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

It's referring to Thunderbirds in-built password manager .i.e do you want thunderbird to remember the password.

So , yes, you should tick the box...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks @MisterW 

Perhaps the other tests were sent auto because I was logged in on the forum.... but the one`s that did  require a password insertion, probably because I was not logged in .