Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password changed - no longer able to access emails

mongo
Dabbler

Password changed - no longer able to access emails

Hi,

Major frigging issue.  My password has been changed at some point today as I can no longer log into plusnet, or plusnet email.

I am near 100% sure I do not have any virus, so how has this happened? And can someone please contact me as soon as possible to sort this out.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue after moveto its own thread.

15 REPLIES 15
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Delivery failures from emails I haven't sent

Oh dear. Sad

If @adamwalker is in tomorrow hopefully he'll respond to the tag. If not another member of the Help Team should.

David
mongo
Dabbler

I just cannot understand how they have managed to get my password. I'm hoping it was the Plusnet security team but I'm not holding my breath!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

It might not be a human hand which has changed this. The security team should be onto it tomorrow, meanwhile operations overnight will be taking any action which is needed.

It's always awkward outside normal opening hours but staff should be in touch tomorrow.

David
mongo
Dabbler

All I can think of is all the info connected to this account. I'm really stressing out over this. At least Plusnet support are there from 7.30am tomorrow. Will be spending the rest of the day checking my PC with a fine tooth comb!
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good Evening @mongo

Please do not be alarmed, your email address looks to have been temporarily disabled by a colleague of mine as our monitoring platforms identified suspicious login activity

You can regain access to the account by resetting the password to it which should re-enable to service immediately, any emails you would have received during this time will still be available in your inbox.

Further information is available on your account in the Member Centre regarding the action taken.

mongo
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate your time considering the time. But I cannot access the member center and cannot access Plusnet email, so how can I reset my password? I have tried the password I changed it to and the original when the email problem originally started but no joy.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

If it's the default email account it will be the Member Centre password that needs a reset. That will send a verification email to the email address on your account, rather difficult if it's your default email address. Sad

In that case a call to support will be needed tomorrow using alternative means to confirm your identity. However as Paul mentioned there's no need to worry overnight.

David
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Someone has to do the night shift Grin

Unfortunately due to it being your recovery email for the account, this means using the online reset option will not work.

In this case it would be best to speak to one of our customer service team who can get this reset for you within a few minutes, I've added some notes to your account to advise of the situation and you should be able to get back in straight away following that.

I will also raise the matter internally on how this process works to look to avoid something like this in future

mongo
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I'm still stressed about the whole thing and will be now until I manage to speak to someone at Plusnet.

Initially when I spoke to someone when the issue first started I was told the problem was likely due to a virus on my PC.  I was pretty confident that this wasn't the case, but when someone tells you this you do start to question it.  And now this happens and it sort of points to it definitely being a virus.

So just to put it on here, I have done the following and have had no result that makes me think I've got a virus.

MalwareBytes - full scan with 'Scan for rootkits' enabled
Windows Defender scan
Avast Smart Scan
Sysinternals Process Explorer with VirusTotal.com enabled - went through every process, plus corresponding DLLs

If anyone has anything else I can try, please let me know.

Thanks...

mongo
Dabbler

I was typing my last reply before you had sent your reply so didn't see it until after my post.

Thanks for replying, it is very much appreciated.

If someone has disabled my email, and changed my plusnet password, then I think that maybe I should have been contacted to let me know.

When I realised the problem tonight, I have been stressing about all the details someone would have access to if they had access to my emails.  This could have been avoided if someone had just let me know what they were doing.  I was contacted by Adam so I know Plusnet have my mobile number.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

For obvious issues I can't go into detail on our security processes however you do pose an interesting point regarding text messages, I will look into that side of things further as I think it could be a great way to ensure customer are informed of these situations especially when it is the mail accounts that are unaccessible so thank you for that Smiley 

Once again I am sorry that I can't get you back into you account tonight but I can make you every guarantee that it will be safe overnight, however if you do have any concern, just let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Don't get stressed out mate as this is something beyond your control.

What has probably happened is somebody that knows your email address has been hit by malware and/or shared your email address.

mongo
Dabbler

No, totally understand.

My issue is that I come in this evening and I am getting imap connection issues with plusnet.  I've obviously had these email problems the last week or so, so I am wary of someone having my login details and so my assumption is that someone has got into my account.  The my mind starts thinking about all the websites that I use the plusnet email for, and someone with access to my account can then request a password reset for these accounts and gain access to these as well.  So at this point, my mind is whizzing thinking of all the possible scenarios that could occur and all the information someone now has access to.  It pretty much felt the same as being burgled!  This could all have been avoided if someone from Plusnet had contacted me to let me know they had disabled my account, which meant I could also no longer log into the Plusnet member centre.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Password changed - no longer able to access emails

Moderator's note:

OP and replies moved to its own thread and title changed to reflect the issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still