cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POP3

Lozmaster

POP3

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but have been a Plusnet customer for years.
I've had a look through some of the other posts to see if my query has been answered, and I think it has to some degree.
Historically, I haven't used webmail very much at all, but new circumstances mean it would be very handy. 
Another post mentioned that  "It's worth bearing in mind that you'll not be able to see any of the messages that you've already downloaded to your home machine using POP3."
It would be useful for me to see messages that I've already downloaded at home, but it sounds like I might need something other than POP3.  Now, I'm not techy minded in the slightest, so can you tell me if it's possible to achieve what I want, and if so, how to do it.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: POP3

You'll need to use IMAP
This will store all of your messages on the server, so they are accessible from any location from which you log in.
Cheers
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Even with POP3 you can usually set your email client to leave a copy on the server
if you aren't sure how to do it either Google the question or advise the email client you use and someone will advise
Note that this isn't a global setting but is done for each email address individually
itsme
Grafter

The problem, I believe, using POP3 and leaving a copy on the server is if you delete an email using the client the email is only deleted locally and not on the server. I would suggest if you are acessing emails from multiple PC's either using a client or Webmail to use IMAP.
Edit: Also POP3 there are folder considerations (POP3 you can only see the inbox folder) and sent emails are only stored locally and not uploaded to the server.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I do it withThunderbird - IMAP, no problem.  SWMBO is definitely no technocrat and nor are her family, I have to edit A) for dubious junk jokes from friend, B) mail that we both want etc into different mail boxes, then she attacks it on her machine with OE express and POP 3