cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POP3 or IMAP?

Enkel
Grafter

POP3 or IMAP?

I've been reading recently that POP3 protocol is old hat and if your ISP supports it it's much better to use IMAP.  Specifically with Plusnet is it? (much better).  And if so, what happens if I change my mail settings from tired old POP3 to sparkling new IMAP?  Do I clag up your server or my connection?  Do I lose all my filters ?  Do I have to recreate all my sub-folders on your IMAP server?  I'm confused.  Any help welcomed
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: POP3 or IMAP?

If you connect using IMAP your mail client will see all the folders (and the mail therein) on the PN servers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mikethackery
Dabbler

I'm interested in this topic as it's been suggested IMAP might be the answer to my question on another thread.  I suspect though, if it's what I'm doing to see my Hotmail account via Outlook, then the folder structure will be inherited from Webmail rather than Webmail inheriting the folder structure you already have.
I'm happy to be proved wrong though.  Time to find a write-up on IMAP I think.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mikethackery
it's been suggested IMAP might be the answer to my question on another thread. 
By me?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Enkel
I've been reading recently that POP3 protocol is old hat and if your ISP supports it it's much better to use IMAP. 

Why?
If there's no logical reason given that relates to your way of using it then assume NO.
IMAP has it's place, and good and bad points.  Lips_are_sealed
hulls
Grafter

I'm no expert, but have started using IMAP on my FOL account, because it leaves the emails on the server, which means thath they're available on my desktop, smartphone and Ipod (plus my wife's smartphone).
John