cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN's Antivirus scanning

glocal
Rising Star

PN's Antivirus scanning

Is the antivirus scanning facility actually available on Value (or other) accounts? There is an on/off setting under the Spam tab in mailboxes setup, but there are also banner adverts selling antivirus scanning as an addon. Does email from whitelisted addresses bypass the scanner?
Crucially, what happens to suspected emails? Can we retrieve them from somewhere? Do we get notification and/or a log?
Overall, a little more clarity on the facility would help. I've been looking around and there isn't very much there.
4 REPLIES 4
glocal
Rising Star

Re: PN's Antivirus scanning

In the meanwhile, I used another account to send myself a test fake virus (completely harmless as per http://www.eicar.org) , even compressed as RAR, and my PN account received the message with the 'virus' attachment replaced with a McAfee warning. So, it seems to be working just fine, complete with notification. The question is whether I can rely on the scanner not being shut down unannounced, eg for maintenance. In another test, I found outgoing infected messages are rejected by PN's SMTP server.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume that you read this http://www.plus.net/support/security/viruses/anti_virus_tool.shtml and as far as I know nothing bypasses the scanner if it is turned on
glocal
Rising Star

Ah, thanks. That's what I was looking for. There are links to the spam filtering support page all over the place, but not to this one.
It says that outgoing email is not scanned but this is not what I see. Attempts to send an 'infected' message were rejected instantly with PN's server replying with an error message about the virus. Also, that page states you can unquarantine a message by replying to the warning message. I can't see how this is possible. I am getting the original message as sent, with just the infected attachment replaced with a generic text warning mentioning McAfee and the name of the virus. My replies are sent to the original sender. Is that page out of date?
The peculiar thing is I have never seen a virus warning from PN. Similarly, I never received a warning from my work email -- they implement the same McAfee scanning. I am not sure when these scanning facilities were implemented but it seems there are practically no viruses circulated by email, which sounds very weird.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think it is but in my case it may be Kaspersky blocking it so I am not sure