Did you mean: 

PC based Windows Live Mail does not get to see emails sent from my iPad

HughCooper

PC based Windows Live Mail does not get to see emails sent from my iPad

My ipad is setup with

Host Name:  imap.plus.net

Outgoing Mail Server:  SMTP    relay.plus.net

much as I thought instructed

I can receive and send email from the ipad and new incoming will shift to the PC when email started on the PC

BUT all sent email from the ipad is kept on the ipad

I'd greatly appreciate your help

7 REPLIES 7
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: PC based Windows Live Mail does not get to see emails sent from my iPad

It is most likely that the iPad email app defaults to a local storage for sent emails. I have similar on my Android based tablet, and haven't yet worked out how or if it is possible to use the server sent items folder. I'm sure someone familiar with iPads can give a more definitive response.

On the other hand, it could be the WLM setup that isn't showing the server version of the Sent items folder. You can check by looking on Webmail to see if your iPad sent emails appear there. If they do, it's a WLM issue, if not it's an iPad issue.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
HughCooper

Thanks and for what its worth I think it is the ipad send setup that needs changing

robski1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

I use WLM on my PC and generic email apps on my Android phone and Kindle Fire.

I can view all incoming mail on all devices but the sent messages can only be viewed on the device they were sent from.

I think this is normal for this type of set up.

Hope this helps.

HughCooper

Given I am away from home a lot this makes syncing manually a real chore - doesn't feel right to me

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

HughCooper

Thanks again for this link.

Here is the relevant advice given:

iOS5: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

1. Launch the Settings app
  2. Choose Mail Contacts and Calendars
  3. Select the account with which you are having trouble syncing the Sent folder
  4. Under IMAP tap on your Account. (NOTE: If it says POP, then you have to delete the account and re-add it as an IMAP account).
  5. Choose Advanced at the bottom
  6. Under Mailbox Behaviours, tap on "Sent Mailbox"
  7. Ensure that the folder called "Sent" is checked off under the "On the Server" section

Now on my iPad I selected Mail from my menu which separately lists Mail, Contacts and Calendar. (just to be pedantic)

I ticked Sent Messages and that was then the only option showing a tick.

I sent test emails.

On the ipad the previously listed Sent Messages folder has disappeared and all sent emails appear under a folder called Sent (which hasalways been listed .. this sort of surprised me!)

The sent messages are received OK but still do not show up on the PC 

(and I have tried other permutations)

Gnash gnash

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Hugh,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Synching IMAP folders across different devices can be a walk in the park or a real chore.  It largely depends on where you started.

Different email clients (programs) do not always name the folders identically if they do not already exist.  Your comment about folders named "Sent" and "Sent items" rather implies there is confusion between devices AND the server over the naming of the DEFAULT folders.

You might need to log into webmail to sort out the default folders (I prefer to call them "Sent", "Draft", "Trash" and "Junk") and then on webmail and the iPad reset the preferred storage location for Sent, Draft, Deleted and Spam items.

One passing thought - are you sure that Windows Live Mail is configured to use the IMAP server's SENT folder?  That could equally explain why you (still) do not see iPad sent items on the PC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.