cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P net email on mobile phone

dosch
Grafter

P net email on mobile phone

I set up plusnet email using Samsung's email app. I have no problem sending or receiving over home wifi, but emails "fail" and stay in outbox when using mobile data. I can send from my gmail address in all situations. Samsung Galaxy S5
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: P net email on mobile phone

@dosch you will need to authenticate with the Plusnet outgoing  mail server when not on your home connection.

See the details in the 'what other settings do I need' here https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/ .

Use the same username/ password that you use for the incoming server. You can leave authentication on permanently , it will still work when on your home connection

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dosch
Grafter

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've done that now. My phones app doesn't say anything about SMTP authentification. Is that the same as "require sign-in" ?

Screenshot of outgoing settings page attached.

Have I done it correctly.

dosch
Grafter

Just turned of Wifi and sent an email from phone to computer. It arrived so it looks like you've sorted it for me.

I'll know better when I go out and about tomorrow. Many thanks in anticipation.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@dosch  yes, that looks right.

You can, following recent updates to the mail system, use a secure connection now if you wish ( the help and support article hasn't caught up yet )

Set the outgoing security to STARTTLS. For incoming use SSL/TLS , port 993 if you are using IMAP , port 995 if using POP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dosch
Grafter

👍

Thank you very much.