Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Own email server

my53rdchoice
Grafter

Own email server

hi,
I have my own domain and rent webspace and email from easyspace which is ok but I object to the cost and limitations.
I have 6 distinct email addresses off the domain which are run via pop3 but will need to extend that to around 10 at some point in the future.
The questions are
How easy is it to host your own email server, is there any free software to do it?
I want to ditch pop3 due to it's limitations regarding mutliple devices using it and switch to imap which is one of the issues (10 unique email accounts with imap)
How secure would it be hosting this at home?
I've had FTP servers for years but just presume email servers are more vulnrable and more targeted.
What happens if your internet goes down, where do inbound emails go to or are they just rejected till it's back online?
If I'm ditching my email provider, how easy is it to also host my own website on the same box?
Are there any added implications?
BTW, I am still using the plusnet tg582n
Much obliged for your time
ta
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Own email server

I run my own email server and found it ok to set up.
Much easier if you're running a *nix based OS, set mine up on a Mac in about 3 hours from scratch.
Not sure about doing it on Windows.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
my53rdchoice
Grafter

It would be on windows
I could use linux but I also want it to act as a media server and I use servio which is dead easy
ta
Steve
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You could have a look at http://www.hmailserver.com/, no personal experience but a quick google threw up a few alternatives.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Just remember that you'll need to setup your DNS if you keep your email server on a different machine. You'll need to login to your domain registrar and set the MX records to point to your home IP.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've done this in the past but reverted back hosted services - A useful experiment but I came to the conclusion that any cost benefits were not great and the hassle factor was high (Not helped by being on NTL for part of the time and having email bounced as a result of my IP address).  Don't forget to factor in the running costs of the PC 24x7 and that anti-spam/virus services are likely to be included.
Personally I'd recommend looking around for a new hosting provider but if you proceed you'll need someone to provide a backup server (secondary MX) to make sure you don't lose email in the event that your server is inaccessible.  Obviously you'll also need a static IP. 
my53rdchoice
Grafter

I just can't find anywhere decent supplying IMAP and webhosting for a decent price.
Overall bandwidth is low but storage is the issue.  Easy space only allow 100 meg across all the accounts
Forgot about the static ip, was used to having that with be there
Steve
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What's your budget?
my53rdchoice
Grafter

I think I am paying around 70 for 2 years?
It's not a huge amount but it's not what I want and want I want seems to be horrifically expensive
Steve
itsme
Grafter

I use to run my own email server using Code Crafters software and an USA company for MX backup when my server was offline.
But like @pwaston when you calculate the cost having a PC on 24/7 and the hassle looking after it is it worth it? You are looking at a minimum of 400kWh over a year so that's £40+ for electric
krs360
Grafter

You can pickup some shared hosting for a minimal cost, as low as $5 a year - you can even pickup a VPS for next to nothing with your own IPv4 address.
I did run a mail server from my PN connection via a Rpi (minimal power costs).
I'm not advertising anywhere on here but if you want me to point you in the right direction just give me a quick PM.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There are a whole lot of options for that budget
Now this one would be a possibility although they probably aren't the cheapest https://www.1and1.co.uk/hosting-linux?__lf=Static&linkOrigin=hosting&linkId=ct-txt-navi-package with their basic option
For emails you can have IMAP or POP3 and up to 100 email accounts with 100GB of webspace and 2GB of storage per email account