cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook mail accounts

atbs1
Grafter

Outlook mail accounts

From 2 networked pc's - each using Outlook to download and send e-mails - we are getting send errors, and having difficulty in receiving e-mails too. A screen shot is attached.  Now one of our clients has called and "there is a problem with our server" is the message he receives when trying to send to us. Can anyone help please?
10 REPLIES 10
john

Re: Outlook mail accounts

The domain name has expired.
Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 12-Jul-2000
    Expiry date:  12-Jul-2014
    Last updated:  11-Sep-2013

Registration status:
    Renewal required.
    *** This registration has been SUSPENDED. ***

Name servers:
    ns1.force9.net
    ns1.plusnet.co.uk    195.166.128.17
    ns2.force9.net
    ns2.plusnet.co.uk    212.159.13.150

WHOIS lookup made at 10:31:08 12-Aug-2014
atbs1
Grafter

This should have been automatically renewed by plusnet - a) why wasn't it and b) I need it renewed now
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Ouch! Sad
Looking at this now.
As an aside, can we remove the .com and .org domains from your account, they don't seem to be pointing to our name servers any more?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK, having looked into this it doesn't /seem/ to be due to our shortcoming.
Whilst the domain /was/ registered with us during the first part of last year, a change that looks to have been made around September 2013, moved the registration to another registrar (eNom).
Note the IPS Tag in a whois lookup. If we were responsible for renewals, this would be displayed as [Tag = FORCE9] and not [Tag = ENOM]:
~$ whois atbs1.co.uk
[Cached]
[whois.nic.uk]
   Domain name:
       atbs1.co.uk
   Registrant:
       <snip>
   Registrant type:
       UK Individual
   Registrant's address:
<snip>
   Data validation:
       Registrant contact details validated by Nominet on 10-Dec-2012
   Registrar:
       eNom, Inc. [Tag = ENOM]
       URL: http://www.enom.com
   Relevant dates:
       Registered on: 12-Jul-2000
       Expiry date:  12-Jul-2014
       Last updated:  11-Sep-2013
   Registration status:
       Renewal required.
       *** This registration has been SUSPENDED. ***
   Name servers:
       ns1.force9.net
       ns1.plusnet.co.uk         195.166.128.17
       ns2.force9.net
       ns2.plusnet.co.uk         212.159.13.150
   WHOIS lookup made at 13:27:09 12-Aug-2014

Note also the 'last updated' time. This combined with the whois history suggests that something happened to the domain around a year ago. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what. Perhaps you can shed some light on the situation because your support tickets from around that time have since been archived?
What I do know, is that somebody contacted us in September last year and requested to - "return [the domain name] to plusnet hosting only".
This we did, but the tag, and therefore the renewal responsibility, remained with eNom.
Long story short, we weren't notified that this domain was coming up for renewal because we're no longer the registrar. Even if we were, we're powerless to do anything about it. We use Nominet for .uk registrations. If we attempt to renew your domain we hit a brick wall:
The following error occurred while processing
your DNS auto delegation request:
V096 Domain name is not registered to your tag
If you have any questions please contact support@nominet.org.uk.
Documentation on the automaton can be found on the Nominet Web
site at http://www.nominet.org.uk/go/automaton

Undoubtedly not the response you were looking for but it seems like you'll need to approach eNom directly Undecided
jim:green personal information snipped mod:end

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

atbs1
Grafter

Thanks for your reply - singularly unhelpful because it did not address the actual issue! So here is the "problem" : Since 2012 I have been receiving e-mail addressed to atbs1.co.uk (my registered domain name with Force9[Plusnet] a reseller for Nominet) in my Outlook.  On Tuesday I could not send/receive because my domain name had been suspended bu Nominet - note NOT enma - so where do they come into the picture? In September 2013 a web developer began the migration of our domain name - but we ceased that when when we found that our emails were being disrupted.  The only part of the migration process that happened was that the IPS tag was pointed to Enom.  Since then all email to and from mail@atbs1.co.uk has been flowing through Plusnet with no problems BECAUSE PLUSNET HAS CONTINUED TO ACTUALLY HOST OUR DOMAIN! I recently received an email from Nominet advising that the domain name was coming up for renewal - notice that? From Nominet! I ignored it as since 2000 Plusnet has always billed me for it. Then the domain was suspended on Tuesday - 2 days ago. My current web manager informed me that this was an Enom issue, because of the IPS tag. I called Enom and they courteously informed me that whilst the IPS tag pointed to them that the domain name had never been transferred from Force9 (Plusnet).  I called Nominet and got the IPS tag duly reversed and pointing to Force9.  Plusnet CS state that they are no longer providing a hosting service. That means to me that all email is disrupted. Plusnet HAS been hosting my domain and if the IPS tag had been re-set then there would not have been a problem.  No matter which way you look at it my domain is still "parked" with Plusnet, they won't admit it and therefore im in limbo.  Result: I have been with this provider for 14 years, I feel really let down by them know - the service I have had has gone in an intransigent response to "take back" my domain name.
jim:green email made non clickable mod:end
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi,
Quote from: SGTE
Thanks for your reply - singularly unhelpful because it did not address the actual issue!

Sorry you feel that way. I did my best Embarrassed
So here is the "problem" : Since 2012 I have been receiving e-mail addressed to atbs1.co.uk (my registered domain name with Force9[Plusnet] a reseller for Nominet) in my Outlook.

Understood.
On Tuesday I could not send/receive because my domain name had been suspended bu Nominet - note NOT enma - so where do they come into the picture?

The domain may have been suspended by Nominet, however that tends to happen when the registrar fails to renew the domain (Nominet oversee all .uk domains). Like your web manager will have done, I checked the tag and it was showing eNom. This implied that eNom are the registrar. As I have advised in my previous post we cannot request renewal of a .uk domain where the tag is pointed to another registrar. I quoted the output form Nominet's systems in my last post.
In September 2013 a web developer began the migration of our domain name - but we ceased that when when we found that our emails were being disrupted.  The only part of the migration process that happened was that the IPS tag was pointed to Enom.

And herein lies the problem. The tag being changed is enough for the domain to be removed from our Nominet account. See here where the process is explained. Note that because of this, we received no notice of the imminent expiry of your domain and when it did expire were unable to renew it because the tag was not ours.
Since then all email to and from mail@atbs1.co.uk has been flowing through Plusnet with no problems BECAUSE PLUSNET HAS CONTINUED TO ACTUALLY HOST OUR DOMAIN!

This is irrelevant. You don't have to host a domain with the registrar. We have thousands of customers paying third party registrars for renewal whilst hosting their email/website with Plusnet.
I recently received an email from Nominet advising that the domain name was coming up for renewal - notice that? From Nominet!

This is explained above.
My current web manager informed me that this was an Enom issue, because of the IPS tag. I called Enom and they courteously informed me that whilst the IPS tag pointed to them that the domain name had never been transferred from Force9 (Plusnet).

That situation has arisen because your web developer changed the IPS Tag yet didn't proceed to request that eNom physically transfer the asset. It doesn't detract from the fact that the IPS Tag had changed and therefore removed us from the equation.
I called Nominet and got the IPS tag duly reversed and pointing to Force9.

Right, now that this has been done (and no, we couldn't have requested it ourselves), I'll look at getting the domain renewed. I assume you're aware of the costs involved? (£52.88). Somebody may need to contact you to take that payment as I think they'll need the CCV number from your card.
Plusnet CS state that they are no longer providing a hosting service.

The zone records are all still in place at our side. Nothing's going to work though until the domain is renewed.
That means to me that all email is disrupted. Plusnet HAS been hosting my domain and if the IPS tag had been re-set then there would not have been a problem.

You're right. The responsibility to re-set the IPS Tag was not ours though I'm afraid.
No matter which way you look at it my domain is still "parked" with Plusnet, they won't admit it and therefore im in limbo.  Result: I have been with this provider for 14 years, I feel really let down by them know - the service I have had has gone in an intransigent response to "take back" my domain name.

As above, now that the tag is back with us, we should be able to sort something out.
To be brutally honest though, you're directing blame at the wrong party Undecided
Quote from: Bob
As an aside, can we remove the .com and .org domains from your account, they don't seem to be pointing to our name servers any more?

Are you happy for me to do this?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ah, this was the thread I was hoping to contribute (positively) to the other day but couldn't find.
Bob Pullen has said everything I would have and more.
Everything Bob Pullen has said is correct, you can use one service to "host" as in "store and make public" your data/web site/email while another is the registrar and manages ownership. (In fact email and web can be on different services if you so wish)
I have done this myself many times. The "storing" company has no knowledge of the registration management/processes.
Your domain is not "parked" as you call it with PlusNet, you have merely been paying them to store some of its data and provide access to it.  Cool
This is definitely NOT PlusNet's fault.
If anyone is to blame it is yourself in conjunction with the "web developer" you mention. You may not be aware of the ins and outs of domain management and migration but such a person certainly should be. Bluntly, they appear to have "dropped the ball" for you.  Cry
Renewal notices should have been issued, but where they went would depend on what information you/your agent had recorded with the actual registrar. Again, nothing to do with PlusNet.
What Bob is offering to do is a very helpful response to get you working again. And he really HAS done his best AND gone beyond the call of duty.  Wink
atbs1
Grafter

Bob, thank you for your detailed response. @HP - ditto.  The issue is now being resolved to my satisfaction and I appreciate the efforts put in by the Plusnet team.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The issue is now being resolved to my satisfaction
Excellent, these things can be quite a minefield.  Cry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK, the domain has been renewed for a couple of years so once DNS has had chance to catch up things should start working again. That leaves just one thing:

Are you happy for me to do this?

As well as the .co.uk domain we're discussing, there is a .org and .com domain associated with your account. Neither of these domains are registered with us or hosted with us so I'm going to remove them from our systems unless you've any objections?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team