cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook/XP - download failing since yesterday

BS6600
Grafter

Outlook/XP - download failing since yesterday

After 10+ years and no recent changes my Outlook fails. It was fine up to lunchtime yesterday and I haven't changed anything.
It fails on all 4 accounts, which all self test in Outlook OK, leaving an email in Inbox. If these the only message Outlook downloads them OK and Plusnet deletes it from the Inbox.
If I log in to Plusnet I can see all messages.
It seems to fail after about 3 live messages with a timeout error (though it will do 4 Outlook self test messagea OK, (they will be very  short). )
I have no problems browsing and messages seem to get sent OK.
Any suggestions (short of ditch Outlook and XP) would be welcome.
Bill
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Outlook/XP - download failing since yesterday

Hi Bill,
A warm welcome to the forums.
This sound like a problem maintaining connectivity to the email server, which can be an issue if the emails have large attachments.  Do you otherwise have a good internet connection?  What is the exact error message please?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BS6600
Grafter

Thanks Kevin
Here is a typical error message:
Task 'Rotary - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
I am a retired developer and have received emails of all sizes (>5Mb) without trouble.  The ones in the inbox at Plus net are 50-200K so nothing extraordinary.  My connection seems to be good in other respects e.g watching video occasionally including now.
Bill
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Bill,
Do you know what the time out duration is on the server configuration in your email account settings?  Try setting these to be a bit linger 90-120 seconds and see if that makes a difference.
Also can you let me have a look at your full error stats - if you are using a PlusNet router, there are two links below which will take you direct to the stats pages,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do you have any anti-virus software on your PC which intercepts incoming email?
BS6600
Grafter

Kevin,
I'm using a Netgear router.
I appreciate your questions about time out limit but why has it fallen apart - it's been great for years and years.   100% failure with no browsing etc I could probably cope with.
 The Outlook (2003) account setup doesn't have any time out setting and it hangs for a minute or two before reporting an error.
Pwatson,
Thanks - Yes but not changed/adjusted  for several weeks.  I'll see if I can disable it temporarily.
Both,
I just noticed that during the night it got in several messages ok the failed about 08:00 - failure results in retries so I can see multiple copies if the first 2 or 3.
Bill
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: BS6600
I appreciate your questions about time out limit but why has it fallen apart - it's been great for years and years.   100% failure with no browsing etc I could probably cope with.
The Outlook (2003) account setup doesn't have any time out setting and it hangs for a minute or two before reporting an error.

Hi Bill,
Why it has fallen apart could be down to a line problem giving a high level of error rate.  That's why I asked for router stats (particularly error counts) but you are unlikely to get those from a Netgear router easily.  Using RouterStats (see link below) might get more info that that displayed through the GUI.
As for Outlook settings... try ACCOUNT SETTINGS, click on the account, select more settings, select the advance tab - there should be a "Server Timeouts" slider...
Kevin

BS6600
Grafter

Kevin
Ta,  I've upped the timeouts from 1 minute to 5 and see what it does o'nite..  This afternoon from 16:00 to 19:00 I went out but left it repeatedly trying and it brought down all messages - sod!
When I ask for router stats, I'm blocked by my firewall.  I'll work on that.
Bill
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This afternoon from 16:00 to 19:00 I went out but left it repeatedly trying and it brought down all messages - sod!

Hi Bill,
That is kind of good news ... you have got your emails (points away for an email problem) and somewhat re-enforces my suspicion of an underlying link problem.
Hopefully you can get at your stats - it is very strange that your firewall (I assume your PC firewall) is inhibiting access to your router.
Kevin

BS6600
Grafter

Latest....
I uninstalled AVG Anti Virus - no change.
I reinstalled AVG and it immediately brought down 30 messages...Huh?
Whether that's a fix or a fluke I won't know till time has passed.
Thanks anyway
Bill
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I uninstalled AVG Anti Virus - no change.
If an AV program is corrupted uninstalling it is often not enough, you need to run the full removal tool as well to clear it out totally.
Sounds like a reinstall fixed the corruption nonetheless, that's not common in my experience.