cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook/POP3 Problem

LOFFEE

Outlook/POP3 Problem

Hi I've just joined plusnet and am trying to run my email through outlook 2007. Have tried all sorts but still getting message 'outlook can not connect to your incoming (pop3) email service. Can anyone one help please.  Smiley Embarrassed
jim:orange All caps in title changes as per foum rules mod:end
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: OUTLOOK/POP3 PROBLEM

Hi there, welcome to the forums.
There's a guide to setting up Outlook 2003 here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/outlook.shtml , I dont expect Outlook 2007 is much different.
Does that help ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LOFFEE

Re: Outlook/POP3 Problem

Hi thanks, I have followed that but still no joy!  Embarrassed
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

What exactly is the error you are getting ?
Are you sure you are using the correct username and password ?
you'll need to use the mailbox username (in the format username+mailboxname) and password.

Its the same username and password format that is used for webmail https://webmail.plus.net/src/login.php can you try and see if that works.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LOFFEE

the error message is:
Task '<snip>@ukonline.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
the link you sent I have log into ok
jim:green part of email address removed mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Incoming mail server should be pop3.ukonline.co.uk I believe with your ukonline password
LOFFEE

yes it is
incoming mail server: pop3.ukonline.co.uk
outgoing server (SMPT)  relay.plus.net
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Did you migrate from ukonline to Plusnet and, if so, have ukonline disabled your email account
LOFFEE

Yes that correct. the ukonline account is still active. I've just send & received emails from the account - it just outlook that it wont run through
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The only suggestion I can make (I use Outlook 2003) is to delete the account and start again
This guide gives the procedure http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/522/How+can+I+setup+email+in+Outlook+2007%3F
Remember to use the ukonline password and I think it is case senstive
Denzil
Grafter

A quick search on the error code gives this. That help?
Also in the connection settings, is there a box ticked that says, "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication"? If so, untick it, it is not necessary and will stop it logging on.
LOFFEE

THANKS
checked and that box is unticked.
Will give the start the account again link a go
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

If you're still having problems after trying that then it may be worth you temporarily disabling any anti-virus/firewall/security software you have running. I've encountered numerous examples in the past where it's been third party software causing that error.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵