Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Email Settings not working, either on Home or Work connection

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Outlook Email Settings not working, either on Home or Work connection

Hi there.

i have recently migrated a hosting package to another provider, and although this is not relevant to the problem I have here, it resulted in my removing my accounts from my desktop Outlook client and re-entering them.  Only now they no longer work.

I have Outlook 2007 on my home PC, and Outlook 365 on my work PC.  Following the instructions on Plusnet's web site I have filled in the followng details for POP3 access.  Note that webmail still works fine.

I have blanked out my personal details, but essentially we're talking username@username.force9.co.uk as my email address.

mail1.png

I click Connect for manual settings and choose POP.

mail3.png

As per the instructions I fill in the above mail servers.  Note that although I used to be a force9 customer,changing "plus.net" to "force9.co.uk" (as per the suggestion on the site) did not result in an authentication error, but a message that the servers could not be found.  Also, as per the instructions,Encryption Method is left blank.

mail4.png

At this point I have tried both "username" and "username@username.force9.co.uk", both with the same result.  The password is my Plusnet password.

mail5.png

As in the previous comment, simply putting "username" here produces the same result. The account will not log in.

mail6.png

Note that I am getting the same behaviour on both Office365 on a directly-connected LAN, and on Outlook 2007 at home on my Plusnet broadband.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome, and yes I have seen the other large thread, but I didn't want to muddy the waters on that one.

A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
5 REPLIES 5
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Re: Outlook Email Settings not working, either on Home or Work connection

Slight error in reading! Setting the incming mail server to pop3.force9.net does actually work (not force9.co.uk duh). However, although I'm now getting a green tick on logging onto the incoming, I'm getting the following response from the attempt to send a test message:

Cannot send the message. Verify the em-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 550 <username@username.force9.co.uk> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)

A tortoise? What's that?
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Right, well trying that in Outlook 2007:

mail7.png

This gives me:

mail8.png

A tortoise? What's that?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Annoyingly Sylpheed on Ubuntu will do it, but Outlook won't. It all seems to hinge ont he Outgoing Server settings.

I tick the "my outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box and "use same settings".

I then click on "Avanced" and either set the outgoing server port to 25 or 587.  I then get the previous 550 message which seems to be saying the outgoing server doesn't recognise the domain part of my email address.

Since I'm using the same settings as my incoming server, which does work, is it a problem with the outgoing server?

A tortoise? What's that?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Right. Huge slice of humble pie straight out of the oven now! 

You know when you're trying to configure something through a terminal window and the letters are really small?  And when you get home you realise you've spelt the domain name with two "L's" and you didn't notice?

Arghhh!!

A tortoise? What's that?