Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Client using Gmail outgoing server discloses wrong email address

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Outlook Client using Gmail outgoing server discloses wrong email address

I need to use an alternative email system to Plusnet's standard email service for a number of reasons :

1. The mailbox capacity is limited to 1Gb. which means that I cannot archive my emails without going over the limit.  Gmail for instance offers 15 Gb.

2. The recent chaos with Plusnet's SPF upgrade means that I really do not have faith in the Plusnet email service.

I have my own .uk domain with my own email addresses which are automatically forwarded by my domain host 123-Reg at present to Plusnet mail servers.  I receive my emails from Plusnet mail servers using Outlook as the mail client, which is set to Plusnet's mail.plus.net and relay.plus.net.

I have forwarded my emails now through 123-Reg to a new account which I have opened with Gmail, and set the mail servers as pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com.  That now works brilliantly (with one exception...) and means that I can now abandon the Plusnet email service.

I have come across one snag however. When I send emails through the Gmail SMTP, the recipient sees my Gmail address and not my domain email address.  If a recipient hits the reply button, there is no problem because the response goes back to my domain and is forwarded as it should be.  The problem is that a recipient may instead write down the Gmail address and use that to add to his address book or contacts rather than my domain address.  That will lead to problems.

In the Outlook settings, I have of course included the reply address as my domain address, and therefore I am surprised to see my sent emails showing the Gmail address.  Interestingly, that does not happen when I use the Plusnet mail servers; the sent emails only disclose the domain email address and NOT my Plusnet default email address.

I have set up Outlook identically for both the Plusnet service and the Gmail service, and I cannot therefore understand why there is this important difference.  Does anyone know how to force emails sent through the Gmail smtp server to retain my sender's address included in the Outlook settings ?

4 REPLIES 4
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Outlook Client using Gmail outgoing server discloses wrong email address

I'm pretty sure you need to pay for a G.Suite account to get what you want ad then add your domain to G.Suite. I have a similar (ish) problem even with G.Suite. I can only send emails from addresses that are registered with the particular account that I log on to in order to send the email.

What I'm meaning by this is that my website can send emails out.  If I use the gmail smtp servers and log in as user1@domain.com, but try to send an email as user2@domain.com, (unless user2 is an alias of user1) the addresses will be rewritten as user1@domain.com.

I believe that is only possible to set up with the paid for server (ie G.Suite).

Plusnets smtp servers don't have that restriction.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

You could set up an e-mail account with 123-Reg, then use their SMTP servers to send mail.  You could collect .uk mail from them (using a catchall account) using the 5G they offer, or continue to redirect to G-mail. It will cost a few pounds a month, but give you what you want.

You could also check out Outlook.com. That also gives free e-mail, but I think (check out POP3 send only) allows you to set up sending without address rewriting.  https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/outlookcompersonaladdress.htm

shermans
Pro

pjmarsh

Superuser 

Thanks for the info.  I suspected that it may have had something to with that but did not know.

shermans
Pro

wisty

wisty

That was the next question I was going to ask as I already have an Outlook.com account that I rarely use.  I will give that a go to see if it any better. Thanks.