cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook App

peterb
Grafter

Outlook App

Outlook app for Android has begun to reject my PlusNet email settings:   Don't know why.

Settings are:

Password

My password.

Display Name

My name

Description (example: Work)

My description for that account

ADVANCED SETTINGS

IMAP Incoming Email Server

imap.plus.net:143

IMAP Username

Username+**

IMAP Password

I enter my password

SMTP Outgoing Email Server 

SMTP Host Name (e.g. smtp.domain.com)

relay.plus.net:587

SMTP Username (example mike.rosoft)

Username+**

SMTP Password

I enter my password.

Error message received various error messages.  Most frequently Log in Error

Please check your email and password and try again.

My password is right and can't see what I am doing wrong.  Advice appreciated.

24 REPLIES 24
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Outlook App

Have you tried using port 25 with relay.plus.net rather than 587? I think MS Outlook for Android assumes different properties for port 587 from those Plusnet support.

I think you might get warning messages during set up that SSL/TLS is not supported; you will have to accept these..

David
peterb
Grafter

Thanks for suggestion to use port 25 with relay.plus.net but that didn't do the trick.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Has the app recently had an update? It's possible that using SSL/TLS has been made mandatory.

David
peterb
Grafter

I have now managed to get the app to work with my default email address.   I didn't have to specify SSL/TL

I just give my username without any "add-ons"

However, the problem seems to be use of extra mailboxes. i.e. add-on@username.plus.com

The app doesn't like the format usename+add-on which is how you normally format extra mailboxes for PlusNet 

At the moment, can't find a work around for that.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

For additional mailboxes you could try using the email address (mailbox@username.plus.com) in place of username+mailbox. If you are prompted you will have to accept SSL/TLS being off.

David
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not much help but I had exactly the same problem a couple of days ago, I have been unable to get Outlook for Android to access my Plusnet email (two other email accounts are still working in Outlook), I set my Plusnet email up in another Android email app with no problem so I currently have 2 non-Plusnet email accounts running in Outlook and my Plusnet email account running in the defult app installed on the phone.

It started when I opened Outlook and it displayed a message saying I needed to re-enter my IMAP password for the Plusnet account but refused to accept the password, I spent ages checking & re-entering the password, even trying variations such as a capital letter at the begining as I was not 100% sure of the exact password at that time (has since been proved by setting the account up in the other app which worked first time).

My suspicion is that Outlook has decided to reject unsecure email conections (but goes through the process of appearing to try them).

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
peterb
Grafter

Interesting comment.  I have managed to get my default PlusNet mailbox working fine on Outlook app now. Have tried unsuccessfully to get a subsidiary mailbox working.  The app does not seem to like the username+** format.PlusNet settings for the app can be found here by the way.  There is a drop down some way towards the bottom of the page

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/pop-and-imap-email-settings-for-outlook-8361e398-8af4-4e97-...

I can get receive via sync through Outlook.com.

I also think the app needs improving, the calendar is a bit basic.  Way short of Google calendar and you can't easily link Outlook and Google calendars.  Wish you could.

w23
Pro

Thanks for that @peterb, the email I'm having trouble with is my default mailbox but I still can't get it working.

The linked guide looks good but it specifies encryption settings and there do not appear to be any encryption settings avaiable on my Outlook app (I'm using 'Advanced settings' as that's necessary just to get into mailserver details, very odd that there are no encryption settings mentioned when they're on the set-up guide (and I still think that's where the problem is), I can't recall any other email set-up not explicitly asking for encryption settings - are you seeing those on yours?.

Spotted someone else posting with a similar issue here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Email-query/td-p/1579786 

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

Just checked the app for updates, updated and now it's working.

Call me 'w23'
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @w23 ,

That's great news, please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you need anything else.

peterb
Grafter

Thanks various comments.  Microsoft support have now told me that Outlook app has been updated for some users but not all.  Unfortunately, I am one of those waiting for the update.  I haven't had an update this week.  I checked just now and am sorry to say that the problem is still there.  Will accept the default mailbox but not any with the username+*

Hopefully, soon.

Simon
Grafter

This has been happening to me recently and always does my head in..

I've done a pic as an aide memoire..

... I tried [Insert Photes] but I get (on FireFox & Edge)

Uploading PlusNetAndroidOutlookIMAP.png resulted in the following error: An unexpected error occurred.

maybe File attach..

peterb
Grafter

Thanks for picture.  Interesting. Like you for incoming I have been using imap.plus.net:143 but for the outgoing I have been using relay.plus.net:587 

I can use default PlusNet mailbox fine, which was always the case. 

The problem is with extra email boxes, i.e. non-default, I think as in your case?    i.e. username = PlusNetUserName+"*"

That works fine on desktop version of Outlook, but fails completely with the app.  I've got a new update 2.2.235 - one month calendar view which is good, but no improvement with this email issue.

Simon
Grafter

Hello Peter,

I find the whole thing a PITA.. the fact that Outlook on Android is in some respects pants.. can't see password when entering, once all the details (imap, smtp, passwords etc) have been entered can't then change one bit.. (and don't get me started on folders or shared mail boxes!) and that the pnet email is a bit archaic..

I think relay. or smtp. is a bit tomayto / tomarto

WRT mailboxes.. make sure of your passwords.. they're not the same as the main account password (unless you've set them so of course!)

I'm on 2.2.226 (on Nokia / android 8.1).. how d'you get 2.2.235 ? .. i'm always checking for updates.. just have now.

For ages I have been using

Email Address
yourmailbox@mydomain.uk

where yourmailbox@mydomain.uk is directed to yourmailbox@pnetaccount.plus.com but now the app only seems to want yourmailbox@pnetaccount.plus.com .. (maybe for another post.. maybe spf etc.)

While the desktop version of Outlook copes ok with "use same user/password" for outgoing i'm not sure the app does, which is why I used pnetaccount / pnetaccountpassword.