Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 365 server connection issue

Instantdiver
Dabbler

Outlook 365 server connection issue

Hi,
Spent some time trying to sort this but long time Plusnet user on apple products with email working fine. Just bought a Microsoft laptop and office 365. Set the imap settings as follows but it appears it won’t connect to the server ie 1. test emails sent sit in the outbox though are sent as I receive them on my phone and 2. Inbox spends an Age synchronising but nothing displays in the inbox. No errors occur. Using imap.plus.net, username and email password, port 143, no encryption. Relay.plus.net, SMTP authentication, port 587 (& 25), no encryption.
Tried many combinations and other ports but not getting anywhere. Also noted that on initial setup it had me import a certificate but didn’t pay much attention?

Any advice very gratefully received. Ps also had my IT guy from work take a look at he was also stumped.

Cheers, Andy
7 REPLIES 7
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Outlook 365 server connection issue

Hi @Instantdiver,

According to:

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

and

What other settings do I need:

You'll need to give a few more details when you're setting up your email application. They can be pretty confusing, so here's what to use.

IMAP POP
Incoming server imap.plus.net mail.plus.net
Incoming port 993 995
Outgoing server relay.plus.net relay.plus.net
Outgoing port 587 (recommended) or 25 587 (recommended) or 25
STARTTLS Yes Yes
SMTP Authentication
(only needed if you're sending emails from a non-Plusnet Internet connection)*
Yes Yes

* This is only available if you've got an active Plusnet broadband account

If your client doesn't support STARTTLS, then you can set SSL/TLS to Yes and set the outgoing port to 465.

Regards

Richard

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Instantdiver Set the imap settings as follows but it appears it won’t connect to the server ie 1. test emails sent sit in the outbox though are sent as I receive them on my phone and 2. Inbox spends an Age synchronising but nothing displays in the inbox. 

I'm not sure but I think you might not have the IMAP folders mapped correctly. I suspect Outlook's defaults are different from the PlusNet defaults.

IIRC the PlusNet defaults are that only INBOX is at the top level, all other folders e'g Sent are subfolders.

This thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Needing-help-with-IMAP-folders/m-p/1410747 might be worth a read

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Instantdiver
Dabbler

Thanks. Interestingly when I change the incoming mail server to 993 (with or with starttls) I get a send/receive error message that outlook is unable to connect to the server. If I use outlooks default I don’t get that message? Either way no success.
Very frustrating.
Instantdiver
Dabbler

Thanks MisterW but it seems to me that this would be a step further on once I get something (anything) to download. However I did check my webmail folder structure and it looks correct to me. I haven’t done anything fancy with subfolders etc.
The only thing that might be a bit different for me is a large amount of mail in the mailbox but could that seriously cause this issue?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I don't use Outlook but from my experience with other mail clients, they tend to do a send then receive. So if you've got mail stuck in the outbox then its going to try and send that each time you ask for a receive. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Instantdiver
Dabbler

So I’ve just created a new profile and used the default and recommended settings. I still get nothing downloaded from the servers but do get a synchronising error code ‘800ccoe-0-0-560’. Any way to decode this for clues?
My question is, is anybody else successfully using outlook 365 to connect with Plusnet servers, and using multiple email addresses? I’m now wondering if it’s got something to do with the multiple other email addresses I have set up on this account.
Instantdiver
Dabbler

After trying every combination of settings, the following finally worked.

For anyone's future reference:- here's the settings I used and had success with:-

imap.plus.net, 993, SSL/TLS

replay.plus.net, 465, SSL/TLS, SMTP authentication on using same settings as incoming.