cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2019 - not now possible to bring my Plusnet Webmail emails down into it?

FIXED
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Outlook 2019 - not now possible to bring my Plusnet Webmail emails down into it?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @Gel as per message #7.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Outlook 2019 - not now possible to bring my Plusnet Webmail emails down into it?

@SkylineUK_Dup it's good to see you've got this all sorted now and thanks for posting the instructions on how to. Feel free to let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Thanks again for all your help Anoush. Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Not a problem, always happy to help Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

(I can’t get the proper ‘quote’ facility to work)

Quote from Gel: 

Office 2019:

What you're encountering is the new "simplified" account settings UI. (Microsoft irony at its' best!)”

When this happened to me, I spent hours getting it to work.  The dialogue made invalid assumptions as to what I wanted in the parameters such as email sign-on ID, and also simply would not let me specify some of the values I needed to enter, with some of the boxes being protected against entry, and other data I did enter being rejected when it came to the next stage in the process.

I have an Office 365 subscription, which includes ‘free’ assistance from Microsoft, but several people I spoke with there had absolutely no idea what was going on.  Perhaps they are only trained in dealing with the more modern stuff and not used to dealing with the likes of POP3 users.  It was only when they called on someone higher up the chain and with more experience that I was led out of this ‘simplified’ dialogue and into the “old email configuration interface in the Control Panel app” (as mentioned by Townman in this thread) whereby the required data could be successfully entered.  I have since had to tell others floundering over the same problem in Outlook 2016 how to do the same.  Why did MS try to fix something that wasn’t broken?  The 'simplified' dialogue (initiated from within Outlook, not Control Panel) is utterly deficient and is erroneous in several respects for POP3 users, possibly IMAP too.

This discussion ought to be on a Microsoft forum rather than here, but it is good that you chaps have helped people who come here looking for an answer.  I wish this had been here when I ran into the problem back in 2018.