cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2019 - not now possible to bring my Plusnet Webmail emails down into it?

FIXED
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Re: Outlook 2019 - not now possible to bring my Plusnet Webmail emails down into it?

I think I might be there.  I deleted what I had and reinstated it choosing POP.  The setup now looks like this, although it isn't exactly the same as in the link you showed above.  Should I have ticked SPA needed?

Outlook Setting_1.pngOutlook Setting_2.png

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information (Username) removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Outlook 2019 - not now possible to bring my Plusnet Webmail emails down into it?

@SkylineUK_Dup I think you're almost there but the username is either your account username or if your email address is not the 1st/default mailbox, then it's in the format of username+mailbox.

Incoming mail server: mail.plus.net and the port is 110

Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net and the port is 587 or 25

Make sure you don't select the options for SSL/TLS or SPA, however you'll need to keep my outgoing server requires authentication ticked as use same settings as my incoming server

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

I have to use 'Repair' by the way as 'Change' doesn't get me access to the required fields.

I made all the changes and it said 'Done'.  But when I went around again to check I found that all it had actually changed was my name (to the correct 'johnsongs').  The changes to servers and ports had been reverted.  Odd, as things seem to be working.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@SkylineUK_Dup Bit odd. Did you remove the IMAP account or try to change it to POP3? You should just need to follow the same steps Here but instead of choosing IMAP you’d choose POP3. Having said that if you’ve got it working and if your mail is automatically disappearing from webmail as you’d want, it might be best to leave things as they are now. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Make sure you don't select the options for SSL/TLS

Is that guidance still applicable?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

I deleted the account again and set it up from scratch again choosing POP from a popup with a number of choices with their logos.  Outlook then seems to allow only the user name to be changed, all other keyed-in choices, per your post, are ignored and the following is always the 'forced' setup, so I think I'll call it quits as things seem to work ok.

POP_1.jpgPOP_2.jpg  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@SkylineUK_Dup Really odd. At least things seem to be working OK now (presumably over IMAP). If you find that your emails are staying on webmail, as an alternative to POP3 if you’re up for it you could archive your emails to Outlook.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Yes, things seem working ok, so I'm going to lay down my arms for now!

I have been left with one irritant however, which is this popup I get whenever I log on:

Cert_Popup.jpg

Viewing and installing the certificate in subsequent popups doesn't stop it happening every time.  How can I stop this from appearing?  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf wrote:

@SkylineUK_Dup I think you're almost there but the username is either your account username or if your email address is not the 1st/default mailbox, then it's in the format of username+mailbox.

Incoming mail server: mail.plus.net and the port is 110

Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net and the port is 587 or 25

You have used...

• pop3.plus.net
  • smtp.plus.net

Though they might work, they are not the same - these are the correct server names for the security certificates.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

As I said in earlier post, Outlook will not allow those server references to be used. You can input them and get to the 'Done' screen so all seems fine, but when you go in and view the setup you've just done Outlook has substituted the server names and ports shown in my screen shots above.  I have twice deleted my account and started from scratch, choosing 'Advanced' and 'Manual' setup and the result is always the same. 

I'm also puzzled by the fact that when this security certificate appears and I choose to accept it for storage on my computer, it appears again every time I re-open Outlook and retrieve my emails as if I hadn't done that.  I thought accepting and storing a security certificate would mean you wouldn't be asked again.  Crazy2

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The security certificate issue question will be asked at the start of each OL session.

Have you sought to set the server options using the control panel mail application as advised?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@SkylineUK_Dup If you're free for a call tomorrow (or any day I'm in) I'd be happy to call you back and use remote support software to see if I can help resolve this for you directly?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Wow, that's incredibly kind of you Anoush, but I think I may have finally cracked it.  I'm running some more tests and will post again shortly.

Thanks to a post earlier by Gel I have now changed the server settings using his suggestion of Ctrl+Alt+S in Outlook.  But the truly bizarre thing is that once I've done that - and the settings stay in place - accessing the formal 'Change' option via the File menu (where I've been working all the time) still shows the 'forced by Outlook' server settings!!  Crazy3

More shortly.... 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem. It’s good to see you may have got this sorted though. Keep us posted.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

After Ctrl+Alt+S in the main Outlook screen you can access these popups in the order shown.  These are how mine now look and everything works fine.

But as I said in the post above, if you go to the Outlook main menu and choose File/Account Settings/Account Settings and then choose Repair/Advanced Options and tick 'Let me repair my account manually' to see what the server settings say, you will see the contradictory server names and ports.  I have no idea why! 

The main thing is that I'm all set and the below screen pics represent something that works in Outlook 2019 (for me at least, and only when I view via Ctrl+Alt+S !)

CLICK 'EDIT' ABOVECLICK 'EDIT' ABOVECLICK 'ACCOUNT PROPERTIES' ABOVECLICK 'ACCOUNT PROPERTIES' ABOVECAltDel_3.jpgCAltDel_4.jpgCAltDel_5.jpgCAltDel_6.jpg