Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2016

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Outlook 2016

Has anyone managed to get Outlook 2016 to work with imap.plus.net? Outlook 2013 was working fine but when Outlook 2016 went on although I can see my IMAP folders they are empty but I know my mails are there as I can see them on webmail.
Microsoft suggested uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2016 and deleting and recreating my Outlook profile along with running SFC at elevated command prompt but all to no avail.
23 REPLIES 23
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Outlook 2016

Hi
I am speaking from an Outlook 2013 point of view, so maybe a red herring, but have you set your root folder to 'inbox'?
In the account settings, go to More Settings... Advanced -> Root Folder path
Like I said, this is for 2013, so may be completely different.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. I just gave that a go but unfortunately the folders still show empty.
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi
Are the folders showing as subscribed? That's in Folder Options when you right click on the imap mail account on the left side.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Yes, they are. It's very odd.
neilhobbs
Rising Star

Hi.
I have recently upgraded to Outlook 2016 on Windows 10, from an existing install of Outlook (Office 2013) using the Office 365 installer and the settings migrated perfectly.
I trust that this is useful for you.
Neil
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Can I ask when you upgraded? I last tried last Friday.
neilhobbs
Rising Star

I did the upgrade on Thursday, the 24th of September - around 8pm.  I have a Home Premium subscription...
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. That's really odd it's not working for me then.
neilhobbs
Rising Star

I'm also connecting to the Force 9 IMAP server from a Sky Broadband connection and sending mail out through the SMTP2Go service...
It may be worth deleting your mail account settings and starting again, following a reboot?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There are two points which might be relevant here which have been discussed on other threads relating to email configuration on Win10 platforms.
1. Is your application allowing you to specify the email address and the user name separately?  The first release of the Mail program on Win10 presumed that servers use the email address as the log in account name.  Normally PlusNet (along with other ISPs) do not use the email address as the account name.  It is possible to log in to your email account with PlusNet using your email address, but it has been found that some accounts need a bit of fixing to make this work.
2. There are also reports that some of the new email clients will no longer connect to servers using un-encrypted (without SSL / TLS).  At present PlusNet servers do not support SSL / TLS.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Hi.  The below is the settings that I have in the Account Settings of Outlook 2016, which are working for me;
User Information
Your Name: My Name
Email Address: mailbox@domain.force9.co.uk
Server Information
Account Type: IMAP
Incoming Mail Server: imap.force9.net
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtpcorp.com
Logon Information
Username: Force9 Account
Password: Force9 Account Password
Require logon using Secure Password Authentication: N/A
Internet E-Mail Settings
General
Mail Account: mailbox@domain.force9.co.uk
Organisation: N/a
Reply E-mail: N/a
Outgoing Server
My Outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires Authentication: X
My Username for the SMTP2Go Service
Advanced
Incoming Mail Server: 143
Use the following type of encrypted connection: None
Outgoing Mail Server: 25
Use the following type of encrypted connection: None
N/a means that it isn't selected.
Compare these to what you have.
Let me know how you get on Wink
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for all the tips/info.
I tried another Office 2013-2016 upgrade just now and my IMAP folders were all still empty and Outlook wouldn't even send mail so I downgraded again.

The only difference I'm thinking on my settings compared to the above are my servers being imap.plus.net and relay.plus.net and not using SMTP authentication on my laptop as I'm connected through PlusNet's network there. I do use SMTP authentication on my Windows Phone as that's on EE's network.
neilhobbs
Rising Star

Quote from: woodm
Thanks for all the tips/info.
The only difference I'm thinking on my settings compared to the above are my servers being imap.plus.net and relay.plus.net and not using SMTP authentication on my laptop as I'm connected through PlusNet's network there. I do use SMTP authentication on my Windows Phone as that's on EE's network.

I use the SMTP2Go service, as I have only used Force 9 (Plus Net) for e-mail services and used another Broadband provider such as BT and now Sky.  Plus Net require you to be on their network (with one of their IP addresses) to be able to route through their SMTP Server.  But you can get into their IMAP and POP3 servers from any network.  I've had issues with both BT's and Sky's SMTP Server, as neither of them seem to look after the service.  So I've made myself mobile.
The SMTP2Go SMTP server enables you to send from any network.  They don't charge if you send less than 20 e-mails a day.  It would be worth a look?
pwatson
Rising Star

PN allow you to send via their SMTP server if you're not on their network as long as you use you user id & password to authenticate.
For some reason, the default server settings shown in the PN email 'how to' guides have SMTP authentication turned off - I'm not aware of any disadvantages to setting this to on, even if you're on a PN connection?