cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2013 setup for Plusnet email

MrMike12

Outlook 2013 setup for Plusnet email

Hi, I am new to the forums but have been with PlusNet for many years during which time I have been collecting my PlusNet emails very successfully in Outlook Express on an XP PC.

I am now trying to setup my PlusNet pop3 mail in Outlook 2013 on a Windows 10 PC. I have finally got my email to work (at least, my mail downloaded and I sent an email) but I cannot get my wife's email address working. I added and account and I entered all the same information as for my account except for her name and email address but I have problems;

a) if I enter the Username as username+{text before the @symbol} when I hit the Test Account Settings button there is an error; Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR Login failed.

b) if I enter the Username as username (same as for my email address) then Test Account Settings is successful, the account is setup and datafile created. HOWEVER, when clicking on send/receive the inbox is populated with my emails, not my wife's emails! This is despite entering the email address as my wife's email address in the setting dialog box.

I have been reading up on this and trying different things for two days now without success so I really could use some help please.

I note that there is quite a few references of one kind or another about problems using Outlook for PlusNet mail. Is this worth pursuing? Would Windows Mail be a less onerous client to use?

Thanks,

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
MrMike12

Re: Outlook 2013 setup for Plusnet email

Hi, looks like I have finally solved it 😀

We only ever had one password for the PlusNet account, without a separate password for my wife's email (she would happily admit that she and computers don't get along too well). So just on a whim while browsing under My Account, I went into her email and setup a password for her account. Entered that password on the Outlook account dialog box and hey presto! Her emails downloaded into her account/data file.

Hopefully all will now be well, otherwise I'll be back here!

Happy New Year to all.

Mike

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@MrMike12 Welcome to the forum.  🙂

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for posting back - you might be surprised how many people don't. 😯

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
MrMike12

Thanks for the welcome 198kHz.

It turns out I was mistaken and at some point we had set my wife's email address up with a separate password.  So, just to be clear, we received the error message during the setup test of the additional email account in Outlook due to a password mismatch. So if anyone has similar problems, be sure to check that you are using the correct password for the email address, which might not be the same as the email used to setup your PlusNet account! 🤔🤗

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

A warm welcome to the forums. Candid admissions such as this really help other users who are convinced that the issue is something else!

In circumstances such as this it is very useful to attempt to access the mailbox via the webmail interface (www.webmail.plus.net). A successful login there, eliminates the possibility of a mistaken password or an issue with the account’s email configuration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.