Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2013:Repeated requests for user name and password for relay.plus.net

LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Outlook 2013:Repeated requests for user name and password for relay.plus.net

I get a window constantly popping up asking for my user name and password in Outlook 2013.

It just started this morning. I have not changed any passowrds so need advice on what to do. Even if I cancel/close the pop up it returns again after a few seconds.Also I do not seem to be able to send any emails.

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
LoneBee
Rising Star

Re: Outlook 2013:Repeated requests for user name and password for relay.plus.net

I changed the outgoing ports numbers to 587 previously when having email sending problems while on holiday. I am at home at present and emails have been sending normally until this morning. I haven't changed any settings, however, when I disconnected my VPN emails started sending again and the pop-up log-in window stopped apprearing. However, I was using the VPN previously without problems and can't see why it should make a difference.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Outlook 2013:Repeated requests for user name and password for relay.plus.net

Sorry, some questions which might be relevant.

Are you by any chance using Plusnet Safeguard DNS? Also please could you mention the first three octets of your IP address (replace the last one with an asterisk). Which VPN were you using?

David
LoneBee
Rising Star

No I haven't used Plusnet Safeguard. I believe my IP address is 80.229.227.*

I use PureVPN via UK server

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thanks, none of those are potential sources of problems as far as I'm aware. Huh

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

“Password failed” is a generic imprecise error messaged reported against a fair number of connectivity issues from server not found, through server cannot be connected to, connection refused and finally username / password error.

I recommend connecting without using interference technology (VPN) once you verify that your username / password works fine you can look emsewher for the source of the problem - for example your VPN supplier.

Note connections over VPN will appear to come ‘off network” and therefore use of the smtp server morning must be authenticated with an (active paid for) user account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.