Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 13 sync - can it be done with plusnet

Machinedoctor
Grafter

Outlook 13 sync - can it be done with plusnet

Hello clever people,
I have just opted into using office 365 and am attempting to set up the email using outlook 2013.
The claimed advantage is that you can sync across different computers.
When I enter my name, email address and password it fails to find my plusnet email account. (I can set things up manually using a pop account but this won't allow synchronization)
does anyone know of a solution for this?
Chris.
3 REPLIES 3
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Outlook 13 sync - can it be done with plusnet

Setup Outlook up manually using IMAP instead of POP3
Machinedoctor
Grafter

I believe that using pop or imap won't allow all of the outlook sync features.
It looks like it needs to be an office 365 for business account that I need.
Can anyone confirm?
Chris.
decomplexity
Rising Star

If you just want to synch your contacts and calendar and Plusnet email across different devices, with your PC or PCs running Outlook 2013, you don't need Office 365 in any edition:
- use IMAP for email. IMAP will synch all your mailboxes (Sent, Drafts and even Trash - as well as your Inbox)
- use (free) Microsoft outlook.com for contacts and calendar (just ignore the email feature completely). The synch protocol is EAS (Exchange Active Synch) which is the best synch protocol extant.
If you have other PCs which do not have (chargeable) Outlook, use free Windows Live Mail Mail (WLM). Thunderbird is a better free ‘pure email’ client, but – if you share mailboxes, contacts and calendars - contact lists and calendars can be shared reliably using EAS, just like Outlook. The only restriction is that the calendars and contacts must come from a single outlook.com account (the WLM profile name you log on to in the top RH corner); Outlook does not have this restriction (you can have umpteen shared contact lists).
Note again that the outlook.com account isn’t used for email at all (your IMAP account is with PN) but just for Calendar and Contacts, and once set up you never need log on to it directly.
EAS is also available on every smartphone, but because Microsoft charges for licenses EAS appears free on PCs only in Microsoft products. For marketing reasons, Google withdrew support for EAS (a.k.a. Google Sync) in its free Gmail-related products in 2013. And because it also integrates with Exchange Server and Active Directory, EAS is the Gold Standard for synching, much to Google’s annoyance!
Office 365 Business Essentials & Premium editions (or whatever Microsoft calls them these days) provide email, calendar and contacts all via Exchange Server using a variant of EAS for synching (you need the Business Premium subscription if you want Word, Excel, Outlook etc as well as Exchange Server services).
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017