Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing mail changes (clarity needed)

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Outgoing mail changes (clarity needed)

I've just received the e-mail telling me I need to change to the Plusnet server if I'm currently using "a non-Plusnet server". Does this mean you will no longer allow people to connect to a third-party server through their PN connection, or that they cannot run their own server over their PN connection, or just that you're retiring some of the servers you own which are not PN-branded?

2 REPLIES 2
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Outgoing mail changes (clarity needed)

No.  They are going to be introducing SPF on the username.plus.com domains.  As a consequence of that emails from an username.plus.com domain that are not sent via a Plusnet smtp server (relay.plus.net, relay.force9.net etc...) may be rejected by a receiving server as it does not match the servers specified in the SPF record.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mecatron

Re: Outgoing mail changes (clarity needed)

Phew, thanks clarifying as it sounded like they were going to block 25/587 and force those of us with our own mail servers and domains to jump ship!

Frankly I'm surprised anyone still uses ISP based email addresses in 2019!