cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing emails ipad

carolroberts5
Hooked

Outgoing emails ipad

I am a new Plusnet user, I am having problems setting up my outgoing emails. I am receiving emails but cannot seem to send out. I have tried everything but to no avail.

12 REPLIES 12
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Outgoing emails ipad

Is your broadband up and running yet? That needs to be active before being able to send through Plusnet's mail servers.
carolroberts5
Hooked

My broadband has been up and running for two weeks. I can receive emails but can not send out.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

What error message do you receive?

Outgoing server relay.plus.net needs to be set up on port 587 without ssl and with authentication - use account-name and password.

Apple products try to force ssl.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

carolroberts5
Hooked

Thank you, I have the settings as you say, I think it maybe something to do with changing my password. I did receive emails but now can neither receive or send. I have entered the correct settings and am now at a loss.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To check you are using the correct username and password I suggest trying Webmail https://webmail.plus.net . For the default mailbox the username and password should be the same as you use to log into the Member Centre on the website.

David
carolroberts5
Hooked

Thank You. I think the problem is because I changed my password. My user name and password are the same as my account but I ve seen where it says you have to also change the router password. I am not very technical and I don’t know all the places I need to change passwords to match my new one.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

If the account / router password were wrong you would likely encounter issues connecting to the internet ... full stop.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

carolroberts5
Hooked

I can now get incoming emails but still can not send out.

The error messages say:

Cannot connect to the Outgoing Mail Server my user name @smpt.relay.plus.net

The second one says:

The connection to the outgoing server smpt.relay.plus.net failed.

Any advice will be appreciated.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Unless you've made a typo in your post, you have the outgoing server wrong. It should be relay.plus.net

carolroberts5
Hooked

Thank You. I am also having the same problem setting up an extra email address for my husband. Can you help.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Additional mailboxes are created using the Manage My Mail tool in Member Centre. The email address for additional mailboxes is of the form

mailboxname@accountname.plus.com

The username for accessing and sending mail from these additional mailboxes needs to be of the form

accountname+mailboxname

with the password set when the additional mailbox was created..

Other settings should be the same as those used with the default mailbox.

Please post details if using these settings gives an error message.

David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The advice from @spraxyt is correct, the settings for additional mailboxes need to be entered in that exact format otherwise you'll receive errors.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.