cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing email setup on Android 4.0.3

mseries
Grafter

Outgoing email setup on Android 4.0.3

I have just got a Hauwei Ascend G300 Android 4.0.3 phone and I am try to set it up to use my Plusnet email. I am connecting using my home wifi. I have copied the settings from my old Nokia phone for the out going server but I get a connection problem message when I attempt to send a message from the plusnet account.
the settings are:
SMTP Server: relay.plus.net
Port 25 (I have tried 587 too)
username: mseries
password: my plusnet password

when I send via smtp.gmail.com it works and it works with the above settings from my Nokia phone, so can someone help ?
32 REPLIES 32
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Outgoing email setup on Android 4.0.3

Just checked the settings on my Samsung S2 and I have the following:
incoming - mail.plus.net  Port 110
Outgoing - smtp.plus.net Port 587
These work for me.
mseries
Grafter

I've just tried a different email app and it works as expected, I guess I don't understand the original one
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I notice you said your phone had 4.0.3 installed (ICS).  This is what I have on my Samsung S2.  When I check for updates I am told it's the up to date version.  On my Samsung Tablet I have 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean).  Why do the phones have an earlier version?
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hey,
My Galaxy S3 just had an update recently to 4.1.2, so not sure what they do to be honest!
Matt
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I wonder if updates are done in blocks.  Maybe the S2 will catch up soon.
Just looked at my tablet and it is still showing 4.1.1 and stating it is the latest Undecided
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Matt, just been looking at my Samsung S2 which is still on 4.0.3
As a Samsung phone owner and also from PN you may be able to resolve an issue for me.  When I click on update I get a message saying the update is unable to work without a WiFi connection and asking me to connect.  I click on WiFi settings and looking at PlusnetWireless8AC50C there is a message 'Authentication Problem'
The phone connects to the internet and I can send/receive emails without problems via WiFi.  Would you have any idea what the problem is?
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
I click on WiFi settings and looking at PlusnetWireless8AC50C there is a message 'Authentication Problem'
The phone connects to the internet and I can send/receive emails without problems via WiFi.  Would you have any idea what the problem is?

How do you know that it's using the WiFi to do the connection, if there's an authentication problem?
Are you able to access 192.168.1.254 in the phone's browser?
Maybe try removing and re-adding the wireless network?
Regards,
Matt
mseries
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Just checked the settings on my Samsung S2 and I have the following:
incoming - mail.plus.net  Port 110
Outgoing - smtp.plus.net Port 587
These work for me.

if you don't mind me asking, what email app are you using on your Android ? Problem is with the preinstalled one, just called "Email". I have it working with AquaMail. (I just tried again with the original app and had the same results. It validates the settings once I press "Done" and is OK, I presume this pings the server somehow but it fails when I try to send mail.
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quick question,
Have you enabled it to login to the outgoing mail server? This is optional during the setup and may be the answer for you.
Not sure why it would work in one App and not the other though, very confusing!
Matt
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your comments.
I can't access 192.168.1.254 on the phone browser. 
Where is the setting to remove/add the wireless network?  I can't seem to find it.
I am using whatever email app came installed on the phone.
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Hey,
Yeah, that confirms that you're wireless connection isn't being used for the internet activities.
If you go to Settings and Wifi, you'll be able to see the saved networks, select your network from the list and select "forget" once forgotten, scan for the wireless networks in range and then connect to your network, put in your security key (most likely the cause of the problem) and you should be connected successfully.
The main test is to try the 192.168.1.254 address Smiley
Hope this helps,
Matt
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just cancelled the old setting.  I'm being asked for a password.  Is this the router password CP103------ or the wireless key?
Mattz0r
Rising Star

The wireless Key Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Sorted Smiley Smiley  Thank you.  I can now search for updates and guess what - there are none available.
Thanks again for your help.