cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing email on iPhone 3GS (iOS 4.1)

Grff
Grafter

Outgoing email on iPhone 3GS (iOS 4.1)

My mail on MY iPhone works fine, both outgoing and incoming.
I'm trying to set up my furnaces I-phone to connect to her mailbox
Ive set hers up the same as mine, but using her username password. For some reason imap.plus.net works and downloads mail fine.
However, when I set relay.plus.net as the outgoing address, with her username and password, it won't send mail out. It just keeps giving an error of "Cannot send mail. The username or password for "SMTP:username@relay.plus.net" is incorrect".
The password and username work for downloading the mail via imap, but wo t login for the smtp.
This is on my home wireless connected to pulsing on my connection. The laptop seems to work fine, and I can login to wrbmail with the same credentials.
Anyone got any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Outgoing email on iPhone 3GS (iOS 4.1)

Hey Griff,
If you haven't already - You could follow this guide, to make sure everything is configured correctly:
http://community.plus.net/library/email/setting-up-plusnet-email-on-an-iphone/
Regards,
Matt
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

For outgoing mail the username and password has to be the account username and password NOT that of the mailbox. So if she's using a mailbox on your account the smtp server needs your username and password.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Griff
Also, if the mailbox is not the default one on the account it would have to be account username+mailbox as the username, so if my account username was pilson and my mailbox was joanne, the username would be pilson+joanne with the corresponding password for that mailbox.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

JoJo he said he'd got the imap working so he must have put the  username+mailbox details in correctly for the incoming.
On the outgoing username+mailbox doesn't work, it must be the account username and password.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Undecided it's been a long day  Grin Embarrassed Roll_eyes
Grff
Grafter

Id checked the plusnet guide and everything seems fine.
I'm using the username and password as it's the default (and maybe only) mailbox she has. Receiving imap is fine, but can't send out on the relay smtp address it seems.
We both live at the same address, and have our own PlusNet accounts.  The net connection is my PlusNet account, and when she moved in downgraded her own plusnet broadband account down to a free account to keep her email.
Could if be something to do with not being a paid account?
Other than the username and password, her iPhone is setup the same as mine, but mine sends out fine. 
She'd typically used pop on the laptop, but wanted to not have to read the same mail on the phone so we changed the laptop to imap and then set the iphone to use imap too. I could check the laptop and make sure her imap is sending out on the laptop I guess.
Grff
Grafter

Imap (sending through relay.plus.net) on the laptop, using her account details on my PlusNet broadband works fine.
The same settings on the iPhone Wong send, and gives the authentication error.
In fact, I think the account was automatically syncd using iTunes so the settings were the same as the laptop.
It's an odd one for sure.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Griff
The net connection is my PlusNet account, and when she moved in downgraded her own plusnet broadband account down to a free account to keep her email.
Could if be something to do with not being a paid account?

Authenticated sending from non-Plusnet connections is not provided on non-subscription (free) accounts.
If you change the settings on her iPhone to use your account name and password (you can leave her email as the from email address) it will work.
Grff
Grafter

Using my username and password in the outgoing authentication worked fine.
Thanks for the help guys. Still not sure Why it works on the laptop but not the iPhone on the same wireless network, but at least it's sorted.
Cheers
Griff
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: jelv
JoJo he said he'd got the imap working so he must have put the  username+mailbox details in correctly for the incoming.
On the outgoing username+mailbox doesn't work, it must be the account username and password.

Yes it does - I have several mail boxes so configured on my iPhone and they work fine - even with accountname SMTP switched off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.