Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing Mail Changes MSGTAG

FIXED
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Outgoing Mail Changes MSGTAG

Hi, I have your email regarding Mail changes.

I currently use POP3 from my PC through Outlook 2010 and leave mail on the server for a month(?) Mail I also connect to with an ipad and Smartphone. This might not be the most sensible way to do it but I keep hard copy on my PC, archived after 9 months, and backed up (in theory) "forever" locally and on the cloud.

Is there a better way?

I also use MSGTAG which means that setting to relay.plus.net is moved to MSGTAG's Outgoing Server. Incoming is from your mail.plus.net Server. MSGTAG provides near instant flagging and recording of when the email is opened at the recipient, I find it very useful and do not wish to give it up.

Will my current arrangement keep working? If not, how can it be kept operational?

I also have my own domain which you host, will that remain the case?

6 REPLIES 6
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Outgoing Mail Changes MSGTAG

Hi @danludlow,

Thank you for getting in touch.

The only other option is to set up each device as IMAP which will replicate webmail. Each time a message is deleted from the device it will delete from the server. (This still allows emails to be stored locally and would mean deleting and re-adding your mail addresses on each device.) To be honest, if your current set up is working for you, I wouldn't change it.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with MSGTAG however, skimming over their page it appears to be software that runs along side your mail client. This being the case, I can't see how it will affect its functionality.

Domain hosting will not be affected by these changes.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I've had my email today. I've just checked my settings. Outlook 2013 is already set to relay.plus.net (I've been with Plusnet sice 2013) my Android phone is also set to the same (since new about 2016), but my Android tablet (new in 2017) is set to smtp.plus.net. Do I need to reset the latter?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @materialman, thanks for getting in touch.

That's correct - We'd advise that you change the tablet one to relay.plus.net

Please let us all know how you get on.

materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Yup that works OK.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

smtp.plus.net and relay.plus.net point to the same IP's. Both will work fine post the changes the email refers to.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Still getting daily reminders from PlusNet, often 2, as if there's a bit of a panic. I have trained myself to ignore them. If things stop I know what to do. ^-)