Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outbound emails being stopped as spam or contain a virus

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Outbound emails being stopped as spam or contain a virus

All I want to do is send an email from outlook 2007 to a recipient of my address book that contains a url but am getting the email returned with the following.

52 rMT31u00639oQFn01MT4BK message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

Anyone tell me what the problem is please or how to fix it? 

PS:  the webmail is still painfully slow and a pain in the proverbial to use.Ticked_off

16 REPLIES 16
BDevine
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: Outbound emails being stopped as spam or contain a virus

Hello,

The URL that you are passing across could be getting stopped by either out outbound servers or the recipients inbound servers. The subject of the error message, is it anything along the lines of: avasout.plus.net ?

If not then it will be the inbound server of recipient. A way round sending any flagged up URL's would be to either break up the URL so its not recognised as spam or you could even print screen the URL and add/attach the print screen.

I hope this helps

Ben

Mayfly
All Star

The error message is titled -  Undeliverable: Email

and is from System Administrator if that helps.

BDevine
Grafter

My bets are on the inbound server on the recipients side then, like I said if you split up the full URL so it's not detected this should help you get around the spam filter.

Mayfly
All Star

No splitting up the url didn't help.

Are emails directed to PNs junk folder tagged in any way? It seems as tho' it's those addresses associated with emails picked up as spam by PN that are affected.

Mayfly
All Star

I really need some help here as I now can't send any email from webmail. 

It tells me the multiple email addresses I included are incorrect despite them being correct and in the white list.

BDevine
Grafter

Hey Mayfly,

I've dropped you a private message so I can look into this further for you.

Ben

colintivy
Rising Star

I have been experiencing a similar effect to the above but only with one addressee. I have tried to reply to customer.complaints@ee.co.uk in several ways but all are rejected as undeliverable.The screed of the rejections quote things like:- remote server 67.7.242.127; server. avasout 03; & address 550:5.7.1 I do not expect that the fact that they are to a competitor has any significance?? All my other outgoing emails seem to go properly. There is no suggestion of virus or spam. Any clues?

Huh

BDevine
Grafter

@colintivy

Hey there, this one is slightly different from the one above as that's definitely our outbound servers spitting out the "avasout 03" messages. It could be from the ee.co.uk email being flagged as spam but could also be the contents of the email being flagged as spam.

I imagine it's just the address that's been flagged up, can I ask do you operate your emails via a domain?

colintivy
Rising Star

@BDevine

Thanks for advice. I only use Web mail to send and receive emails because they are very domestic in character. I only have one identity and that is the Plus.net one that I was given when I joined and do not really need a raft of addresses. I propose to write to EE to circumvent the failure that I have experienced. Any advice you can give to avoid the problem will be of interest please.

BDevine
Grafter

So it could still be the recipient or contents of the message your sending.
Firstly I'd try attaching a word document or something you can include the bulk of your message into and try re-sending and this this doesn't work we know the ee.co.uk is being stopped by our spam filter. In which case I'd suggest try sending it from a different email address?
Let me know how you get on.

Ben

Mayfly
All Star

My problem settled down a little but has now started again.

It appears that any email that has a chain of previous emails below (eg an emails that has been replied to 4-5 times and is complete) PNs server doesn't like and once it is sent to the junk folder and I have retrieved it I then can't send to any those attached addresses even tho' there are links or url in the body of any text. 

Nightmare!

How do I move my personal email that is directed via PN to an independent company please?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

@Mayfly,

There are a number of ways to move, however, if the email is suspected to have a SPAM threat in it, you are likely to encounter exactly the same with any other email provider operating good spam prevention.  Often other peoples emails (in the chain of replies) can have links to suspect URLs which not everyone's email services are so protective against propagating dangerous content (SPAM).

One solution to this is to clear out the previous responses in your reply.  Alternatively, you could reduce the SPAM prevention scrubbing level (or turn it off altogether) under the Email settings on the user portal.  See https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes (you will need to login).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

@colintivy & @BDevine

@colintivy wrote:

I have tried to reply to customer.complaints@ee.co.uk in several ways but all are rejected as undeliverable.

The screed of the rejections quote things like:- remote server 67.7.242.127; server. avasout 03; & address 550:5.7.1

This is not an address, but rather a SMTP error code indicating that the receiver is rejecting the email because the sending service is marked as being a high source of SPAM email.  See https://mailchannels.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202191674-Fixing-the-550-5-7-1-RBL-Sender-blocked...

It would be helpful if you could post the exact and full error message (ensuring you redact all personal information) if there is more in it than that posted above.

Essentially it would appear that ee.co.uk is rejecting emails from PlusNet's email servers ... try just sending a test email (new one) with no content to see if you get the same error.  That eliminates anything in the email you are replying to being the cause of the problem.

Email servers having out of date SMTP server black listing is not uncommon.  There's an email service I support elsewhere which is being black balled by on particular ISP / Email service referring to a black-list status on a black-balling service which shows the sending service to be clean.  Would not surprise me to learn that EE's data is out of date!

HOWEVER having just checked one of PN's SMTP servers (avasout08.plus.net) I note that it has two black balls (Backscatter and SORBUS Spam) - see https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a212.159.14.20&run=toolpage# - I also checked 01, 02, 03 and 04 (then gave up) as they all had at least one black ball.

@bobpullen - one for you?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlanH2
Dabbler

I have experienced a similar problem today.  My mail is forwarded from my Plusnet account to Outlook.

I received a phishing email trying to get details of my Amazon account.  When I tried sending it from my Outlook account as an attachment to an email to "stop-spoofing@amazon.com" under their fraud notification arrangements, I got a System Administrator 'undeliverable' 552 message: "1keU1v0042Y0t0201keVlP message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team".

The phishing e-mail contained a dodgy link (which, of course, I didn't click on) and my notification e-mail to Amazon included the 'true link' (which appeared in a pop-up when I hovered over it).  I also tried sending the e-mail to Amazon without including that 'true link' and 'forwarding' the phishing e-mail instead of attaching it but I got the same 552 message each time.

I read your advice about breaking up the url as a way of beating the spam/virus filter but that would mean clicking on the dodgy link in order to insert breaks (wouldn't it?) and I don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

Is there another way around this?

Also, I thought that for an e-mail to reach my account, the address had to include my Plusnet address after the "@".  This dodgy one I received was showing the e-mail address of a legitimate UK-based commercial photography company in the "To" box.  No "Copy to" addresses were showing. So I'm not sure how it even reached me.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.