cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@.Org email

leslieharland

@.Org email

I have a .uk@member.mensa.org email address I would like to use
Is there any way I can avoid having uk@member.mensa.org@plus when I set it up on Windows Livemail? 
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: @.Org email

You don't have to change it
I assume that you collect your email from the mensa server
In which case the email address is presumably something.uk@member.mensa.org as now
The mail server for receiving mail is the usual mensa server and the  outgoing mail is relay.plus.net
leslieharland

Thanks Jim
I have only just the mensa address so I have not managed to set it up yet 
The full address is    <removed>@member.mensa.org
I am assuming the server is    member.mensa.org
jim:green email address removed - this site is searched by Google etc. and all the scammers mod:end
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That is unlikely to be the incoming mail server name. The incoming mail server name is likely to be something like mail.mensa.org. When you registered for membership were you not provided with mail server details (or a guide to setting up email)?
David
leslieharland

Jim
  Thanks for changing my email addrerss to make it more difficult for spammers
Spraxyt
Unfortunately the email address was all I was given
There were no other details or guide 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
You'd need to contact mensa directly I think in order to find out if you can collect your email using a client such as outlook - they'll be able to advise of the settings.
How do you usually collect your email from that address? Is it via the website?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Do you have access to a member's forum? If so you might find email guidance on there.
Using dig on the domain it looks like the mail server is newmail.mensa.org
David
leslieharland

Thank you for your help
I posted the problem on a Mensa forum and was told that the Mensa vanity email is a forwarding service not a full email account
it does not deal with sending, only receiving
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That's fine and can be made to fit in with guidance given in earlier replies.
Since the Mensa service is forwarding only, instead of collecting the messages yourself (which has been assumed for earlier replies), you need to define (in the Mensa member centre - I assume) a real email address (a suitable Plusnet address) which the Mensa server will forward your messages to.
Sent messages go via relay.plus.net (as assumed for earlier replies) with your mail program set up to use your Mensa address as the "from" address.
Have you already set up a Plusnet email address? I'll assume you have and that you want to continue using that independently of your Mensa address. The most convenient way to handle this is to use Manage My Mail to define an additional mailbox (eg mensa) with its own password. That will then serve as the delivery point for your Mensa mail.
You would enter mensa@username.plus.com as the forwarding address at Mensa. In Windows Live Mail you put your Mensa address in the "E-mail address" field, and mensa mailbox password in the "Password" field. On the second page you put username+mensa in the "Login ID" field. Replace "username" in this paragraph with your Plusnet account name.
Other entries on the set-up screens are as shown in the Plusnet Windows Live Mail set-up guide here.
David