Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old e-mails

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Old e-mails

@MatthewWheeler

Using pop3 set up you mention either leave a message on the server or remove from server when deleted from deleted items. On a Samsung Phone or Tablet it is Delete e-mail from server when I delete from inbox. Which I believe should delete from the server. Recently I had to remove the email account from my tablet due to an e-mail problem (not being received), this had been set as Delete e-mail from server when I delete from inbox. However when I reinstated the account and the e-mails came through I noticed the dates were from October 2016, an explanation on how this can happen if I have deleted them please.

2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Old e-mails

The older emails would still be on the server if your email client did not instruct it to delete them and then properly quit the server connection for that action to be carried out. POP3 works best when used in download then delete mode, leaving copies on the server is possible but can have side-effects such as this.

You mentioned Phone or tablet - do you have both collecting mail using POP3? That is not recommended.

David
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Old e-mails

Always instruct deletion when deleting from in box also on my desktop I set the e-mail client to remove from server after 14 days. I have desktop, tablet and phone able to collect e-mail and each one is set to delete from server, never had major problems but found strange results such as old e-mails suddenly returning.