cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification?

Roberto0151
Grafter

Notification?

For years I've used Outlook express to manage my PN email but now have a new laptop with Windows 8 which will not allow me to use Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, Outlook or any other sane programme, but insists on Windows 8 mail (yuk!)
So I looked at the latest PN mail programme and somewhat to my surprise I rather liked it  Smiley  and I'm hoping it will go well having ditched the Microsoft options. What I think I shall miss though is having some sort of advice in the notification area when there is new unread mail in the inbox.
Does anyone know any workaround for this or is it asking too much?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Notification?

Outlook 2003 onwards work with Windows 8 apparently http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/win8upgrade.htm
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks OJ, but  I have a feeling that Outlook is not for me - I don't use Office and my email usage is very moderate so that the cost of outlook comes into consideration.  I guess I'll be content with PN and Gmail.
I notice by the way that there is a notifier program that can be downloaded for free, but that seems to require a toolbar and I don't do toolbars !
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you looked at Thunderbird (it's in your price range! Tongue )?
If you set that up using IMAP you can use that or the online webmail and anything you do will be reflected in both. At the most basic it will show a new messages icon in the system tray, but using rules you can have it pop up for certain messages based on sender, subject etc.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks Jelv, it sounds good and I'll have a proper look when I get more time. ((I have spent so much time lately sorting out Win8 etc. that SWMBO is getting restless and suggesting I do something "useful"  Undecided )
Roberto0151
Grafter

Looks good!  I got it running quite painlessly.  Many thanks for the suggestion - not expensive either Smiley