cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not recognising account username

AeonsDead

Not recognising account username

Hi, i'm new to plusnet. Having recieved my router kit in the mail before i had any e-mails sent to my associated gmail account, i thought i'd try and log onto my newly created plusnet e-mail to see if any messages had been sent there.
I am able to log into the main part of the website with account details, connection settings, tools etc. but whenever i try to log in to webmail it says my username/password is not recognised. I definitely set up an address when i joined plusnet. Also i tried setting it up in OutlookExpress but no luck either. Is it just because i am a new user? and it will take a short while for the e-mail account to be set up?
11 REPLIES 11
JymboP

Re: Not recognising account username

Send an email to your PlusNet email from an external account - this creates the mailbox (a known bug).
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As you entered an external email address during signup, we didn't create any mailboxes. Head to this link which will prompt you to create a new mailbox. Send it an email then you'll be up and running.
AeonsDead

Thanks for your help Ben, it is working now.
Kozma
Dabbler

I've just set up a Plusnet email address using the link above.  It didn't ask for a password.
I have tried to log in using email address username@username.plus.com and the password I registered when I joined Plusnet, but getting the message, "ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server."
** Edit - Scrap that.  I've now received the email re setting up a new email and it says to wait 4 hours for it to be set up.
Kozma
Dabbler

Just tried to log in again and getting the error message, Error: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you sent an email to the mailbox you created to force the storage to be created? And is that address your default mailbox (where your account name and password is used to log in)?
David
Kozma
Dabbler

Many thanks for the reply.  I have re-sent a test email to the new email and can not access the account.
Thanks again for your help.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The digital care team are unlikely to be here again until Monday. I suggest ringing the CSC (open 24x7) on 0845 140 0200 to get this sorted out. The lines are quietest late evening.
David
Kozma
Dabbler

Embarrassed    I am really sorry.  I have just re-read my post and meant to type " can now" access my email, not "can not".  My fat fingers.  Embarrassed
Many thanks though for the number should I have needed it.
I haven't made a very good start with these forums between posting a similar question in 2 topics and now this.
For future reference, is it preferred to search for a similar topic and add to it or do you prefer that a new topics is started?  Different forums have different rules.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for your post, glad to hear your email is working now. For reference, if you should need the CSC phone number you will find it at the bottom of all the Member Centre pages.
The forum rules are set out in the General: Forum Rules In Depth post stickied at the top of the announcements board. Those mention the problem which cross posting leads to.
Quote from: Kozma
For future reference, is it preferred to search for a similar topic and add to it or do you prefer that a new topics is started?

Answering that involves treading dangerous ground - I can only give a personal opinion. Searching for the solution first is a good start - and to some extent that is likely to be in similar topics. Hopefully reading through these will help solve the problem so there is no need to post. If a thread is active passive reading might be appropriate - no need to repeat what is already being said, but additional thoughts can be helpful. Beyond that if the thread is current, posting in it on the same topic is probably OK, but I suggest avoiding resurrecting old threads that have fallen way down the list.
David
Kozma
Dabbler

Thanks again.
Hopefully I won't have to use the forums too much as that would mean I'm having problems!  Hopefully using the Search for previous posts will answer any future queries I may have.
Although off topic, I have to add that moving to Plusnet was seamless.  I received the email and text saying I had gone active at 6.50am on Thursday while I was still online with my previous ISP and 5 mins later I had switched to Plusnet.  No downtime and none of the problems I was anticipating getting connected.