cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving emails via Webmail

dabow
Rising Star

Not receiving emails via Webmail

I have had a try at using Webmail for the first time. I can send emails but never receive any via webmail.

They do finish up ok in my ordinary plusnet email box . Any suggestions as what may be going wrong ?

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Not receiving emails via Webmail

What email client are you using to collect mail? It sounds like that client is configured to delete mail from the server on download, but I'm no expert - you need someone with greater knowledge to advise, really.

John
dabow
Rising Star

Hi,

I am using Windows Live Mail for the main emailwork. I get no webmail delivered even if I disable  the WLM while I wait for webmail to down load . ?Huh

jab1
Legend

Sorry, can't answer that one, then.

What happens if you open webmail before loading WLM? - I appreciate you probably can't try that until you've turned the machine off, but could you try it, say, first thing tomorrow?

I've never used WLM, so have no idea how it works.

John
dabow
Rising Star

Hi John,

I have effectively tried that. I have closed down WLM so that it does not download emails. Have sent trial emails (via Gmail) in an attempt to encourage webmail to receive them, but to no avail.

When I restart WLM the trial emails are then downloaded as normal. So they are being accepted but not showing on Webmail.  Strange !

David.

jab1
Legend

Strange one, David.

I wonder if @MisterW can help?

John
dabow
Rising Star

Hi John,

I think I have just cracked it. I have got it to receive. It looks as though you have to sign in to the Webmail using my email address rather than my plusnet username. Before, when signing in with username ((and password) it gave access apparently to the webmail since it allowed me to send emails. Time it has accepted receive emails. Seems a bit strange though. 

I will do further tests another time to verify this.

David

jab1
Legend

Glad you appear to have cracked it - I must admit that sounds strange, as when I (very infrequently) sign in to any of my email addresses on webmail, I am only presented with the mailbox 'name' - e.g. 'john' and the password.

Having said that, though, if you have never used webmail previously, you do have t 'create' the account in the manner you say.

John
dabow
Rising Star

Hi John,

I have just noticed that if i I sign in to my normal plusnet addr. using WLM ,the emails are there, same as in webmail, once they are then downloaded/read they dissapear from the webmail inbox.

David

jab1
Legend

Probably because you have set them to 'delete from server on download' somewhere in WLM - but don't ask me where - I've never used WLM in my life.😀

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jab1

That was a good stab at a potential cause (assuming the user was indeed logging into the same mailbox). An email client configured as a POP3 agent would indeed give rise to the scenario described. The POP3 configured email client would swipe all of the mail off the server leaving nothing for webmail to see.

@dadow

You can have multiple email addresses

For the default you log in with account-name and the account password

For other mailboxes you log in with account-name+mailbox-name And the mailbox password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.