cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton 360 gives error 552 ~ what the heck is going on???

Routefinder
Grafter

Norton 360 gives error 552 ~ what the heck is going on???

Hi All
My wife has Norton 360 on her laptop and has her own email Mailbox as part of my username list of mailboxes and uses Outlook 2003.  This is Win XP and is always kept fully patched & updated.
Now she has used this AV for a goodly while and never had an issue.  However she called me over to look an oddity, when she replies to specific emails she gets the Norton email Error 552 telling her there is an issue with either Spam or a Virus. 
In this instance I suggested she not "reply" but send a new email in answer to this regular contact and that went through fine.  As far as I know (so far) it is only replies to this contact that trigger these Norton Errors and that only recently because as noted this is someone she is in regular contact with and has always previously "replied" rather than as I suggested answered with a new email. 
Just checked further and no other contacts to which she replies seem to have had this problem but she said that on a prior occasion she replied a second time and it went through, so an intermittent problem perhaps ~ but what the heck is it and how do we overcome it???
TIA for any insight Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Norton 360 gives error 552 ~ what the heck is going on???

Does this error look like a Norton error code, or could it be notifying you of an underlying email transport protocol error ?
SMTP error code #552 means that the recipients mailbox has reached or exceeded it's allowed storage allocation.
If it is intermittent, then that could be down to the recipient downloading their messages from a mailbox that is too small.
I seem to remember that old Hotmail free accounts only had 2MB of email storage, so it is very easy to fill the mailbox !
Routefinder
Grafter

It is a Norton dialogue type box that pops up the start of very long string is preceeded by the 552 and in the body it gives the From and To i.e. sender & intended recipient.  The threaded emails have only the occassional .vcf card file attached but that is stripped anyway when replying so they are not large by any measure.
As mentioned the warning text following the string refers to either Spam or a Virus, so very odd???
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Routefinder
It is a Norton dialogue type box that pops up the start of very long string is preceeded by the 552 and in the body it gives the From and To i.e. sender & intended recipient.  The threaded emails have only the occassional .vcf card file attached but that is stripped anyway when replying so they are not large by any measure.

Something like this?
552 hlrB1i0090hDnUL01lrCju message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.. Please check the message and try again.

If so then that error is being generated by our outbound anti-spam platform because it doesn't like a certain aspect of the email your wife is trying to send. This will almost certainly be a domain or email address that's triggering our anti-spam vendors threat detection engine or some of the content in the email itself.
If you can try getting her to send one of these emails using the new Webmail interface then it should fail with the same error. Assuming neither you or her mind then I could then log into the mailbox and check the drafts folder for a copy of the message. I might then be able to tell you what's causing the problem. Failing that, raise a support ticket. If you do, please include the sender address/recipient address, content of the email (if possible) and the error string that's being returned, e.g. hlrB1i0090hDnUL01lrCju.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Routefinder
Grafter

Good morning Bob
Many thanks for the reply, yes the string does look of that nature. And the error message if I recall is exactly that Smiley
Will look at it again later today.........................................initially for simplicity it may be best to post a Ticket with as you suggest the fullest possible info.  For the record thinking it was for some reason the recipients email address in the section of replied to email I tried a forward send and removed that section in the text but failed again so I surmise of course that it is still in the Header Data and as such (if it is that???) being detected?
I will talk her through the options and let you know via PM as appropriate.