cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No messages being sent to spam folder

srfc1

No messages being sent to spam folder

None of the spam emails I receive are being sent to my spam folder. I am on the most severe setting to stop it as suggested in the advise but they are still getting through.

I can’t block them as they all seem to come from a different email and domin name so this makes no difference, other than my block list getting longer and longer.

I had hoped that if I kept marking them as spam plusnet would eventually learn and at least some would go to the spam folder, but it’s making no difference. Plusnet recognises nothing sent to me as spam!!

Why does plusnet recognise nothing as spam?? It’s very frustrating
3 REPLIES 3
srfc1

Re: No messages being sent to spam folder

Does anyone look at this forum from plusnet? Do they even care about keeping customers? Apparently not. Still none of my spam emails are ever marked as spam or go in the spam folder!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Detecting and blocking SPAM is not as easy as you might think ... your a smart human with a brain which can quickly recognise rubbish emails.  By comparison computers are quite dumb and need to learn particular patterns to know what is / is not SPAM.  The problem is smart humans keep altering the patterns of SPAM markers ... for example using stolen email addresses to pretend to send emails from someone they are not.

It is possible that Plusnet is filtering more of your spam than you realise - have you set "Discard obvious spam"?  If yes there might well be lots of spam being ditched that you are not aware of.

By what means are advising "Plusnet" that an item is actually SPAM?  I believe that I'm correct in suggesting that the only way of doing that is to do so via the webmail interface and to use the "report as spam" option.  Other environments (e.g. PC based filtering) is just that ... they try to do the SPAM profiling AFTER the email ahs been received on your device.

Sounds like you are trying to block (blacklist) senders - frankly that is somewhat futile as spammers are constantly changing the "from" addresses all of the time.  Sadly SPAM is something we have to live with.  If it is really bad, the only option might be to invent yourself a new email address, tell it to friends and family ... and after a time of not getting anything of value to the old address, consign the address to an electronic black hole.

Plusnet has a "catch-all" facility, such that you can have anyname@youraccount.plus.net - personally I give every business a different email address along the lines of theirname@myaccount.plus.net (or actually theirname@mydomain.tld) thereby I limit the exposure of my real email address and if any organisation abuses the email address, it is simple enough to trash it and not be troubled by the consequences.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

srfc1

Logged onto plus net every day and reported all of the spam, still nothing goes into my spam folder other than what I send their. My other email account doesn’t have this problem and all spam goes straight to the spam folder. I think i’ll Slowly change to another email provider and cancel my plusnet completely, its only been laziness and being bothered to do this stopping me.