cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No joy with setting up email on Galaxy

Leewurf

No joy with setting up email on Galaxy

Hi all, I know this has been done to death and I have been looking through similar/identical threads all morning to no avail.

So, here goes....

Signed up to plusnet and set up myself as the primary email and several sub accounts for family. Trying to set up email on my phone and I have tried adding a new account on Outlook, G-Mail and the default Samsung mail app and every time I am getting denied.

Click Add Account, enter email address and password.

Select IMAP

Enter username the same as I use to log into my Plusnet account on the internet

Set IMAP server to imap.plus.net

Security type to None

Port 143

OUTGOING server set to relay.plus.net

Security - none

Port 587

Username and password again, same as above

And every time, no matter which platform I'm on I get told my username and/or password is wrong.

The only way ive managed to partially fudge it is to turn off the option to verify before sending. It then lets me complete the setup but then I can only receive emails and any I send 'fail' and stay stuck in the outbox.

Like I say, I've tried the above on multiple email platforms, tried variations on the level of security, the port number, put full email address instead of just username, all with the same outcome that my username/password is wrong - its not.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: No joy with setting up email on Galaxy

Is your PlusNet broadband actually active yet ?

You will not be able to send mail via relay.plus.net until your account activates , which explains why

The only way ive managed to partially fudge it is to turn off the option to verify before sending. It then lets me complete the setup but then I can only receive emails and any I send 'fail' and stay stuck in the outbox.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Leewurf 

@MisterW was spot on. 

Can you look at this service note on your account for more info on your order and live dates. 

Thanks 

Leewurf

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Well that would explain it. Maybe a little note to that effect would be helpful in the reams of info on setting up your email. It may be obvious to some but I bet I'm not the first or last to be tripped up by this.

Thanks you both for taking the time to enlighten me.