Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No emails

GaryWato
Hooked

No emails

Hello,

Haven't had emails for two weeks, then like the proverbial bus, they've all come today causing huge hassles to catch up with bank issues and internet transactions.

Now I'm apparently having 'internal server errors' when simply trying to open my email page.

Is this an ongoing problem? If so I'll have to redirect to a new email provider.

Thanks for any updates.

14 REPLIES 14
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: No emails

GaryWato
Hooked

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
I was under the impression this was a Plusnet forum for Plusnet users. My mistake if not, apologies. It was regarding my plusnet webmail account. The one that comes with the plusnet broadband.

cannonball
Hooked

This email problem is going on way to long. I cannot get my emails, its 10 mins + and then says internal server error. Tried using a email program instead of webmail but still the same problem. This is the main problem why I won't extend my contract. The wifi is the worst I have ever had. I am getting really annoyed it is taking so long, I think its about time I moved to another provider. 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@GaryWato Gel's question was a fair one. A large proportion of people using Plusnet email addresses never use webmail, but access the Plusnet mail servers using a local client on their PC (e.g. Thunderbird). Generally these work better than the [censored] that is webmail at the moment.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anon
Pro

They might work better, I use one, but they are still rubbish, this morning nothing. Don't bother get out and start changing your email address is the ONLY solution and I am slowly engaged in it. Better still follow Jelv and get out of Pnet.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
Gel
Aspiring Champion

My POP3 e mails have long worked fine through relay.plus.net servers using Thunderbird on wife's PC, and Outlook 2013 on mine. I have e mail addresses with previous ISP's I used too, and all work fine via PN settings.
Don't understand why some use nothing else apart from their ISP's webmail client.
I also have "magic mail"* monitor running in background, which polls all servers I use; I can quickly delete e mails I don't need before they ever get downloaded to my e mail programme using Magic.
*http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
GaryWato
Hooked

Hiya Jelv,

Yeah I wasn't being funny with anyone, I was simply asking what was up with that email programme. A lot of us simply don't understand pop mail v webmail v clientside etc. We just use what is available when signing up for the Broadband. It may be a fault not to learn the intricacies or how to have a centralised email, but some people are just not net savvy or technically minded enough to realise there are other options. Sometimes I think people who are well versed in these structures can forget that.

Anyway thanks for all your replies,

I suppose I need to look at other options.

Gel
Aspiring Champion

With webmail you can only see your e mails when you're connected to webmail.
And PN's webmail has had issues for ages unfortunately.

With pop3 protocol, used via an e mail programme, the e mails are downloaded to your PC, so
if the broadband connection was unavailable for example, you'd still have your e mails because
they're d/loaded onto your machine. If you're limiting sending/ receiving to one machine,
pop3 is simplest solution in my view.
imap protocol is different in that the e mails remain on the PN
server until you decide to delete, but you can access them from various devices around the home,
and you can save e mails to <local> folders on your PC.
GaryWato
Hooked

Thanks Gel.

I'm looking into other things now. I downloaded thunderbird as jelv suggested, but after I input all the data from plusnet it just came back and said Pop3 and imap from plusnet are not secure systems and are vulnerable ways of connecting to your server.

I'll look into it more when I get some time.
Thank you all for yours by the way, appreciate the advice and info.

Gel
Aspiring Champion

Yes I'm afraid PN's e mail system is viewed as insecure as they still haven't adopted SSL PROTOCOL. You have to
enter the settings into Thunderbird manually, not use the auto set up.
See
https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/thunderbird-setup/
cannonball
Hooked

Thunderbird does not work for me, no matter what I put in.

cannonball
Hooked

Finally managed to get some emails this morning through webmail. Outlook will setup but is just as slow as webmail. Can anyone suggest a decent provider. I used to use virgin media 4 years ago which is brilliant as fibre was direct to the house but since moving here ther is no Virgin Cable to where I live.

Gel
Aspiring Champion

What error message are you seeing; try & take a screenshot & post here.

These are T Bird Server settings that work for me.

T Bird1.PNG

T Bird1aa.jpg

Anon
Pro

From my desktop, I just get server no connecting, wait or stop and yesterday I said wait for several times and it did not connect received no emails via Pnet at all. This morning no problems just slow.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.