cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No emails in or out

steve18

No emails in or out

I'm trying to set up an existing free-online email account for a friend who's changed computer but can't get anything to work!
Tried port settings 25, 110, 587 but keep getting error message saying it cannot connect to the server on port 25, 110, 587.
Followed all the info on setting up email on this site (only for OS 10.4 not 10.3.9), username and password correct, incoming and outgoing server info correct, hours on forums etc to no avail! I guess there's something I'm missing as I have the same problem with my G4 Powerbook (works perfectly on my desktop Mac!).
He's on free-online dial up and the computer is an Apple Power PC G4, 1.25GHz, 10.3.9, Apple Mail, Safari.
Any help would be appreciated as I'm close to closing this account and opening another with a different provider.
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: No emails in or out

Incoming POP3 e-mail on mail.free-online.net should be port 110, outgoing SMTP e-mail to relay.free-online.net should be port 25 - and the user has to be on a Plusnet/Free-Online connection (as they should be on dial-up). The connection is not via SSL.
I assume access to the main mailbox is desired where the username and password are those used to login to the Member Centre. As a check does logging into webmail https://webmail.plus.net/ with the same username and password work?
The Digital Care Team will be here again in the morning but the CSC on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 will provide help 24x7.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Would you have any details about what happens when trying to connect to the mailboxes? Any error messages etc?
Also does connectivity in general work on the computer when the mail is failing, or can it not get online at all? Is this on a connection with us, or with a different provider?
Apologies for all the questions but the more information we have the easier it'll be to sort out. Happy to take a look into it for you.
steve18

Thanks for the replies, haven't had a chance to sort this out yet!
Error messages - 'cannot connect to the server on port 25, 110, 587'
Computer online with no problems.
Incoming server is mail.free-online.net
Outgoing server is SMTP.ntlworld.com
SSL off
Authentication - Password
spraxyt - I've tried to access webmail via your link but keep getting the following error message - ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
I'm using his username and password on my computer not his (the one I'm trying to get to work). The settings should be exactly the same as mine as I'm with NTL/Virgin too.
Any thoughts?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you are accessing email from an NTL connection only incoming mail can be accessed, and the dial-up username and password should suffice for that. If trying to access webmail fails it seems to me that there could be a username/password problem or a problem with email settings on the account. Does the username and password work for access to the Member Centre?
Giving the CSC a call might help to resolve this more quickly.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: steve18
spraxyt - I've tried to access webmail via your link but keep getting the following error message - ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.

That doesn't sound good.
I suspect you'd be better off contacting our helpdesk as it sounds like a problem at our side (at least the incoming part of it).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

steve18

Member centre login works ok.
Will call customer services although it will be expensive as it will be on a mobile to enable internet access on dial up.
Thanks for your help.
James
Grafter

Steve,
You can call us on 0345 140 0200 which should/may be included in your mobile plan.