Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No email this morning 10 November

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Another cannot send email

Webmail has been diabolical for days, much worse than its normal poor performance.  I have just ran a couple of tests.  Login was instantaneous.  Displaying 100 items from a 4K item mailbox was no sweat either ... Barely time to blink.

This is the best performance I've seen for years.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ok so the issue is still ongoing. My Wife's legacy @madasafish.com mail account is showing the password issue in Thunderbird, we can access Webmail and can see the mails. I am still not sure I have all the mails to my Plusnet email account. When is this likely to be resolved. Can we have a proper update please explaining what has happened and what is being done to resolve it, rather than the Cut & Paste we have had since last week.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Are you connecting over a Plusnet ISP connection?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Shackman205
Rising Star

Yes - although a freenetname address it is through Plusnet. And still working this morning!

masont
Hooked

Globalnet email via POP3/Thunderbird over Plusnet connection worked for the first time since last week when I tried it at 2.30ish this morning, and still working now at 9.15 am.

Looks promising, and well done if it has been fixed, but I see there's no update to Service Status for email as yet

stuck
Rising Star

@Townman wrote:

...This is the best performance I've seen for years.

Hmm, not sure I'd go that far just yet BUT things do seem better this morning.  I've been able to login to webmail both quickly and without any errors from my work laptop for the first time in many, many, months.

I stress work laptop because even when my work laptop was sitting next to my home desktop PC, the work laptop invariably failed to reach webmail when the home desktop would get there, eventually but with frequent errors.  I've always attributed this difference in performance to the fact my work laptop uses a VPN to my company systems and that introduces extra latency in the route to webmail.  Not so today though, the work laptop works OK.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Not necessarily a latency issue, but certainly a different - external to Plusnet - network connection.

Without divulging details (I know some but not all) off network connections are profiled differently and some VPN connections have always been challenging - especially those hosted overseas.

On network connection to webmail at the moment is better than I’ve seen it in years! As the service status reports there is still some work in progress.

KevH
Rising Star

Agree that webmail seems as good as ever, but I rarely use it (maily use mail clients on iPad/iPhone and Outlook on my PC). 

I would still like to know if my missing emails from Wed are toast. I asked this question to a reply on Twitter and radio silence plus I asked a couple of times on this forum but the post got merged both times into this huge thread.

I would just like some openness - if they are lost, fair enough. I will have to decide what the appropriate response is to that news but just tell us for goodness sake!

itbookworm
Grafter

My understanding of how email was "working".....

- The plustnet servers were so broken they weren't accepting messages from people sending them

- depending on how the sending server was set up that server would do one of the following

- go back to the sending user and say no luck message send failed

- not tell the sending user anything but try again a bit later, and then a bit later still, and later again... till it either gave up entirely (and told the sending user?) or got through and handed the message to the plusnet server for delivery to you

- depending which of the above happened any the messages sent during the outage are likely to turn up eventually and possibly out of sequence depending on the try again after x minutes/hours rule used.

Having said that I think most/all of my outstanding email is now in so I wouldn't have thought there should be much sent on the 10th still trying to get handed over to the plusnet servers.

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

To be fair , I've just logged in and its the quickest I've experienced for over 2 years.  Pity it has taken literally hundreds , maybe thousands of complaints and bad publicity (via tabloids, internet websites, forums, etc)  to get them to do something positive .  I hope my emails to the CEO ruffled a few feathers down the management chain. Anyhow , goodbye Plusnet as I've now managed to delink all my 50+  online accounts to another email provider (took me 4 days) . That's what they hoped customers would do and I have concurred. I also suspect they have now lost the faith and trust of hundreds of customers (who are planning to leave) and it has damaged the brand of BT and Plusnet . What short-sightedness, it beggars belief!!

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ok so its a week now and this is still not resolved. My PN email is working at the moment but my Wife's Madasafish email is still having password issues via Thunderbird but seems ok by Webmail. So PN when is this going to be fixed, it is a pain in the backside and i am getting earache off the Mrs about it?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

As of 10am today, Plusnet has reported that all problems are now resolved.  Can you please retest.

PeterB1
Rising Star

I  have a vanilla Plusnet email account and Plusnet is my ISP.

Send/receive now working normally on my PC/Outlook and iPhone 98and has been for several days..

Webmail also working well now.

Finger crossed.

Plusnet have taken a lot of flak in the past week.

Justified, in my view, when it comes to communication with users, which was frustrating and poor.

I have no idea what caused the outage so no idea what the task was that the technical staff faced.

Whatever it was, I imagine they've been working long hours under enormous pressure to get things fixed and I'd like to thank them for their efforts.

kdiment
Rising Star

Yes, webmail/IMAP has very gradually returned to near-normal. Thunderbird/POP, however, has not worked for just over a week and still fails at login.

Shackman205
Rising Star

My Thunderbird connection has now worked flawlessly for 24+ hours. However, I did have to re-enter my password (even though it was shown correctly in the password manager) when I logged in the first couple of times on Monday.