cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No email this morning 10 November

SameAgain

Re: No Email Access

Right - sorry, this is no longer funny.  A week with no email.  Who knows what I've missed.  If I try a password reset on my normal account I get:

Sorry, we can’t find an account with the username 'xyz'. Please try again.

But all my sub-email accounts work fine and I get no bounce-backs if I email my primary account. Can someone PLEASE EXPLAIN whats going on?????  

smallblueplanet
Rising Star

My expression of annoyance from this morning was moved to this thread. Makes it easier to ignore I imagine.

I've had nothing, nada, since all this started. NO email through my email client and webmail excruciatingly slow! 

SameAgain

I understand 'fixes' have been posted.  Tried them all.  none worked - be great if my Primary account was available, which is the issue I am having.  My sub-accounts all work fine.  Woo flippin Hoo.  Being told my account does no exist after 22 years?  really?

solent2
Dabbler

@Dippy @PhilipHeyes  and all the other helpful folks, many thanks for all the useful info and workrounds etc.  I have learnt a lot in the past few days!  I have somewhat given up as the workround did work a bit but service is still iffy - I have signed up for a free account with SMTP2GO  and that works just great (woohoo!), I will keep it in reserve for the future too....!  I'm not promoting them (free is fine if you don't have masses of traffic but not for all) as no doubt there are others out there (and of course gmail) but it is looking increasingly the best option is to get similar and a domain for backup and ready for any future isp move.  The most frustrating thing, as others have said, is the total lack of explanation and the copy+paste daily statement!  the service is NOT free, we use plusnet in part because it provides email AS PART of the subscription and many of us have been shuffled from one to another over decades.  If they do intend to get rid of it I do wish they would come clean!

blairatholl
Hooked

I moved broadband/phone from PlusNet to John-Lewis Broadband because it was cheaper (I live in an area where PlusNet charges high prices - you can forget about all their advertising come-ons, they don't apply to my telephone exchange). PlusNet offered the facility to retain one's PlusNet email address, at a very reasonable price which I was perfectly willing to pay. Then PlusNet announced that that retention was now free, for all time if you were an ex-customer. And indeed I was never billed.

So it's no good PlusNet complaining that they don't make a profit from email. If anything, it's entirely self-inflicted.

It would be a pity to leave PlusNet because they are one of the few providers to allow an infinite number of email addresses - so very useful for managing spam or blocking those ridiculous shops (Ilike B&Q - are you listening) which send you junk emails after shopping online and ignore unsubscribe requests. John-Lewis, even on the same technical platform as PlusNet, only allows a single email address.

DGC93

Re: No email this morning 10 November

Hi mine's been out for days now support has issued a ticket then nothing. No feedback no answer nothing. Even the online webmail which is usually slow bad and sometimes out is messing about. This has now gone on too long with no contact.

Flabula
Grafter

And...... mine's stopped authenticating again, even with Mailwasher which had been working today. None of the work arounds anyone has posted has worked for me so far.

Is this ever going to be fixed I wonder......?

northender
Dabbler

Having recently done a clean install of Windows 11 , it's taken me 3 days to add 4 email accounts to my email client!!!

I can receive email, but can't send them this morning, it was working OK yesterday afternoon.

Plusnet management need to make a statement about the email service, as removing it will force me away after many years of being with them.

colkaih

Mine is totally intermittent, for days, 95% of the time, failed login, user not found, ya-da ya-da, then, every rare attempt, some emails trickle in. Try again just a couple of minutes later and nothing. Totally useless.

Mines a legacy email as well, (freenetname), so I do wonder, as someone else has said, are they either ignoring, or placing a lower priority on them.

It's annoying enough for me as an individual, I'd hate to be a business relying on the incompetency of Plusnet.

jontysoper
Grafter

Afternoon.

Just wanted to share my experience from yesterday evening.  I fully appreciate this could be old and already shared news.

After making a small change, I appear to have email working on my Samsung mobile again.  Outlook on a PC was fine although I had to make a change to my wife's mailbox/profile.

I did a little digging whilst cooking the kids their supper.  And I spied changes in Outlook's server settings which I know are different to what I used when I set it up.  But at what point these changes have occurred I do not know.

Incoming mail is now imap.plus.net (previously it was mail.freenetname.co.uk)

*Outgoing is now smtp.plus.net (previously smtpmail.freenetname.co.uk)

*Outgoing seems to be a little hit and miss with speed and I spied relay.plus.net, have also been using but is too hit and miss, so I'm just keeping an eye on both.

Receiving test emails that I've sent to myself seems rather slow still (on both phone and PC Outlook) but I got a wad of new emails from all other sources once I made the phone changes - which mimicked my Outlook.  Wife's email on Outlook came flooding in after the change, as did her phone.

Just wanted to share.  Gotta keep the fingers crossed!

Jonty.

PeterB1
Rising Star

My email send/receive is still working normally on both PC/Outlook and iPhone.

(I have a vanilla Plusnet account) 

But the Inbox on my phone (not in Outlook) has just been completely wiped!

Steve76
Dabbler

I wish I could say mine was working. Appeared to be working yesterday - both Webmail and Thunderbird.

Today I can get in from Webmail, although it is a little slow. Thunderbird keeps saying "Login failed" although I just got a new error to me: "Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server mail.globalnet.co.uk responded: Here's what I can do:" Weird message!

imbart
Dabbler

Still spasmodic email service.  Works occasionally now and then and more than it did (at the moment). However we have the same daily mantra from Plusnet which doesn't really explain what's going on. It probably doesn't help anyone but when my email client doesn't work I get this error message:

"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
rejected. Account : 'mail.globalnet.co.uk', Server: 'mail.globalnet.co.uk ',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Temporary problem, please try again
later', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92:"

PeterB1
Rising Star

Judging by the posts on this forum, it looks as if most of those still having issues are those with legacy accounts.

Or have I got that wrong? Are there users with Plusnet accounts still plague-ridden?

I'm no expert, but my pet theory is that Plusnet accounts (like mine) have mostly been fixed and the techies are now working on the legacy accounts.

But then I always was an optimist!

pwberry
Dabbler

We're now coming to the end of day 6 of this shambles (remember if started on the evening of the 9th).

I've no idea if my situation is typical - my email client is half-loaded with the backlog of emails,  but I can't reply to them anyway (I managed to send one yesterday before it all went t***-up again,  it's never been stable enough since).  Webmail doesn't work,  full stop.  I'm now losing work (and friends).  I'll be finding a new email provider of course,  but I don't do this lightly after about 20 years with Metronet, and hundreds of current contacts to deal with.

Meanwhile,  Plusnet's update from today is a copy-and-paste of Thursday morning's derisory effort.  They may as well be spitting in customers' faces.