cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No email this morning 10 November

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Re: Hallelujah I can send emails!!!

"Still flakey for me, 17 years with PN but this one has done it for me. I think its time to go, apart from some few very helpful PN individuals and the forum members the organisation as a whole has become very poor."

It could be out of the frying pan, into the fire?

Service here, apart from this present incident, has been impeccable. My Internet died a couple of weeks back, the first time ever with PN. It took my modem out and it seems the line/ port. I had a spare router and PN tech were able to get me back and running in 30 minutes. Most other companies, it would have perhaps taken weeks of complaints and dealing with people reading from scripts. 

mkstevo
Grafter

Re: Hallelujah I can send emails!!!

I used to have an account on AOL when I first connected to the internet with dialup. After some years I switched to Clara, then after a few years again to Nildram (such a pity they were bought out by TalkTalk). For the switch from AOL to Clara, things weren't too bad as I only had a few email addresses that needed to be changed and notified, but by the time I swapped from Clara to Nildram I had loads of people that I needed to update with a new email address. That was when I bought my own domain. The switch from Nildram to PlusNet then simply meant a change to the target email server on my domain.

I would suggest that where you have important services that rely on email, you might seriously consider buying a domain and using that domain as your primary email address, then if something were to happen in the future you could (even if only temporarily) redirect your emails to an alternate destination and carry on as normal. For the £10 per year or so a domain costs, that resiliance is well worth the expense.

Dippy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Not able to send emails

Thank you to anyone who thanked me for my post but I was just relaying what I had learnt from others here.

I see that DNS is now resolving relay.plus.net to 212.159.8.107 instead of 212.159.9.107 so I have changed back to relay.plus.net as the name of my outgoing server in Outlook and I am sending emails fine with no certificate warning. Unless things change again then hopefully I can now forget about this and refocus on my business.

I did consider changing from Plusnet last time I had problems but in my particular case it would have cost me more and I will not simply assume that other ISPs are better. "The devil you know" comes to mind. But for other people who have nothing to lose and much to gain I urge you to be motivated by this issue and switch. Mass switching is the only thing that the executives of Plusnet will pay attention to.

To the others whose comments I saw that you don't understand the technicalities of this, such as using an IP address instead of a domain name, then now is the time to educate yourself. Everything can be found on the web and it is not hard to find. A little knowledge goes a long way.

collinsdesign
Dabbler

Re: Email problems

I receive an email every day at 10:30 but the one from Wednesday is still missing, and my login problems also started the evening before. Redirects were also broken, so no idea how those emails will have been managed. It would be good manners give some information about what actually happened and an honest statement regarding any lost emails.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Lost/missing email posting - deleted?

Hiya KevH, your original post can be viewed here on the merged thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/No-email-this-morning-10-November/m-p/1838784#M37014

With regards to your query, if not already doing so I would advise setting up your mail on a client to see if this helps with the issues you are still seeing. Any mail that has successfully sent to your email won't be lost however, may experience a delay when sending and receiving emails.

I'm really sorry for the continued inconvenience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
MG56
Hooked

Does anyone know an IP address for SMTP.TOTALISE.CO.UK?

I still cannot receive emails via my Outlook client, and am constantly being asked to reset my email password

graemev
Grafter

Other than the obvious one ?

$ nslookup SMTP.TOTALISE.CO.UK
Server: 127.0.0.53
Address: 127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: SMTP.TOTALISE.CO.UK
Address: 212.159.8.240
Address: 212.159.9.240

Address: 212.159.8.240
Address: 212.159.9.240

dbrear

Re: Fed up! Still can't download email.

No, nor me. 

I can see my emails in Webmail (which I don't usually use) but I can't pick them up as usual with my Postbox client — Sending of password failed. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Fed up! Still can't download email.

Moderators Note

Multiple topics merged in.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
KevH
Rising Star

Replying to LaurenB half a dozen posts higher up:

I think I asked a specific question which hadn’t been answered elsewhere as far as I can tell. Merging it into a post which has pages and pages of general issues wasn’t IMO helpful.
I’ve tried email clients on 3 platforms and whilst emails in my experience are now working fine, I am still missing Wednesday’s emails. If they haven’t turned up by now and they are in your system, where are they and why haven’t they been delivered?
PeterB1
Rising Star

As of 12.30 pm on Saturday, I am now able to send and receive emails with no issues.

Emails to me are arriving promptly and recipients of sent messages report the same.

I:ve tried both Outlook on my PC and my phone with the same promising result.

So fingers crossed this nightmare may soon be over.

I think (but cannot be 100% certain) that all emails sent to me during the outage have arrived - though many were of course late at the start of the outage.

Riverside
Grafter

Re: No Email Access

Some good news: my e-mails from Wednesday to today have all just downloaded en masse so it looks like some progress has been made with the sign-on issue (madasafish mail server, Thunderbird 91.3)

Steve76
Dabbler

Re: No email this morning 10 November

Well I've been able to log into webmail this morning and have managed to clear down all the emails that I hadn't been able to get to the last few days.

Now there is just a problem with getting the email client to talk to the server. I am getting various messages with the most frequent being: "Mail server mail.globalnet.co.uk responded: Login failed." I know the username/password haven't changed so still a problem with the system.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

"I’ve tried email clients on 3 platforms and whilst emails in my experience are now working fine, I am still missing Wednesday’s emails. If they haven’t turned up by now and they are in your system, where are they and why haven’t they been delivered? "

I suspect some of my Wednesday emails have also failed to arrive too, but not a major issue for me - I wasn't expecting anything important. I would guess that if pn's server didn't accept them, then they would be bounced. Once they have bounced, it would be up to the sender to spot the bounce and resend the email. 

LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I can also now send emails from all my plusnet mailboxes this morning so hopefully they are progressing towards resolving the issue and it is a robust fix. It is still identified as a major service issue on the service status page though.