cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No email this morning 10 November

martinund
Grafter

Re: Not able to send emails

Some people have suggested that the inability to send email is confined to those computers which have SMTP authentication turned ON (so they can send using Plusnet's SMTP server when connected to a non-PN connection at a friend's house or in a hotel).

Sadly this is not the case. I've just turned SMTP authentication off (so as to give anonymous SMTP) and it still doesn't work. And that's for a brand-new email that was sent after SMTP auth was turned off, not just for messages that have been in the Outbox since before. The error (in Windows Live Mail) is "your server unexpectedly terminated the connection".

Webmail is completely broken at the moment (ie more broken that it was!). Previously I got a logon screen and then maybe got the Inbox displayed or maybe it timed out. Now I always get no reponse at all from the webmail.plus.net site.

New emails are taking a long time to end up in the Inbox so POP can delilver them. One email has not appeared after 30 minutes. An earlier test email from Gmail took about 3 hours to make it (looking at the "A sent to B" hops in the headers). At least I've received messages that were sent yesterday.

glocal
Rising Star

Re: No Email Access

@mikeb wrote:

Fax2email, voip, smtp, usenet etc. all long gone. Regrettably, I will therefore not be in slightest bit surprised if/when e-mail and webspace joins that list despite both being in daily use since day one with force9 Sad

I don't have access to plusnet's marketing data, but with Ofcom promoting frictionless switching between ISPs almost at the push of a button and ISPs trying to allure each other's customers with special offers, I think Plusnet killing relatively low cost services that still create some friction in people moving away, and then competing only on price is a very bad idea. I've been with Plusnet forever, but if it comes down to paying for just access to the pipe, I may well push that button.  

madswitcher
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: No email this morning 10 November

I am coming in over Virgin media and still can't send anything.  Its been almost 2 days down and getting problematic.  The POP3 relay just keeps terminating the link.

Mike

Flabula
Grafter

Re: No email this morning 10 November

Still intermittent email access for me today. The problem is definitely not fixed.

At the moment back to login failing every time.

dabow
Rising Star

Re: continuing help with emails

A lot of us are in the same boat. The sending and receiving conditions seem to change with the hour and are very unreliable. They are really making a mess of this. Has some idiot been let loose on the system ?

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Re: No Email Access

Will we ever get an explanation of the cause?

mpwsheff

Re: Where Are My Emails?

For a period this morning I could update emails on iPad and iPhone, though I think that not all emails that were sent to me arrived.

I have never been able to get as far as a Login screen on Webmail.

Now I can't update emails on iPad, iPhone or on my MAC (via Thunderbird). I did manage to update on a MacBook via Mail about 10 minutes ago but now the connection fails if I try it again.

This issue is nowhere near fixed despite what some Plusnet Staff posts suggest.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Missing emails since the November unable to 'login issue' resolve

I can now see the test messages I sent in webmail but still won't download to Thunderbird!

Tykebike
Grafter

Latest Email Problems

Why is it so difficult to find out that the mail service is broken? Why isn't there a news flash on the home page of plus.net? Yesterday I was trying to find out why I wasn't able to receive or send emails so my first port of call was to check on the website where I found nothing unless it was hidden down deep somewhere. Next port of call was to use the telephone help line where I did eventually get a message informing me of the breakdown in service but again it wasn't right at the top of the list where I believe it should be when a major problem exists.

Third port of call was the community forum and there I found a lot of people in the same boat as me. I do not use this forum very often, usually when I'm in trouble and need an anwer quickly (which I usually get) so it is probably my fault that I cannot see the post new topic icon when I need it most - could it be in a different colour or something to help us idiots?

By the way I am still unable to send emails as of 2pm Thursday.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Latest Email Problems

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

And there is the service status forum board here - https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Information/bd-p/ServiceStatus

How many more signposts are required?

The service status is scheduled for an update in 90 minutes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Re: Missing emails since the November unable to 'login issue' resolve

@w23 

That will be a client sync issue.

I am seeing sync issues between my iPhone and the mail server, leading to seeing different views of the same mailbox on different devices.  I would suspect that everyone is hammering the servers at the moment (doing repetitive send / receives) which is not going to be overly helpful.

It would not surprise me is users' mailboxes are not fully resync'd until later this evening when the back log of mail has been processed fully.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Re: Where Are My Emails?

There is a country mile difference between fixed and the required catch up ... catching up.

There will be sizable email backlogs and you can expect that a substantial number of users are sat repeated pressing send / receive ... which overall is contributing to the stress on the service ... trying to process 24 hours of undelivered emails.

I am seeing new emails arrive in a timely manner, but am having difficulty sending ... and getting the same view of the mailbox on different devices.  It will take time for the dust to settle AFTER the fixes which were applied last night.

kdiment
Rising Star

Service Status / Email states: "Issue first occurred on : 10 November 2021 7:56 AM" but I think it started at least 7 hours before that.

I was sending and receiving emails (using Thunderbird) happily up to about 22:00 on 09/11/21, then at around 23:00 embarked on a rather tedious upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11. That completed successfully by about 01:00 10/11/21 when I found I could browse the internet but could not login to Plusnet email.

Now, more than 36 hours later, I still cannot login to email but everything else seems normal.

I suppose it is too fanciful to suggest that my Windows upgrade on my laptop is the cause of all this hassle???

It must surely be just a coincidence!

James17
Hooked

Re: After Yesterdays Outage

When I tried to send, my email client (Apple Mail) returned an error message:

“The server response was: Internal queuing error”

I thought it’d be worth trying webmail, but that stalled before it could load the login page.