cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Outbox

Babi
Dabbler

No Outbox

Using my Plusnet account directly, I have all the 'folders' one would expect for sending and receiving emails but no Outbox.  Could someone please tell me how to rectify this problem.

I am also able to use my Plus account via Outlook where I do have an Outbox and very often see that emails with attachments have got stuck in there.  But by going directly into my Plusnet account to see whether I can rectify the problem doesn't help as I have no Outbox.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks

12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: No Outbox

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to EMail

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

OUTBOX is an OUTLOOK client side only email folder where in mail items waiting to be sent are held.  After sending they are moved to the sent items folder.

In some email clients the OUTBOX folder only exists (is displayed) whilst there are emails waiting to be sent.  I have particularly seen this on iOS mail on the iPhone and iPad.

If there are emails sat in the client's outbox, then that suggests some issue with sending emails, possibly a connectivity issue ... or just a need to force a send and receive action.  Your observation is to be expected and not something to focus on ... which is not the same as saying that you do not have an issue sending emails...

--------------

I have multiple mailboxes alongside an outlook.com (exchange) mail box.  Have on occasions found emails relating to other accounts in the exchange outbox folder ... which have actually been sent.  AFAICT these seem to relate to transient transmission failures.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Perhaps you are using the term "outbox" to signify where your "outward bound" emails are stored, as in "in box" or "deleted"... so maybe the term "Sent" .. may be where your "sent/outward bound" emails are stored  ? ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The OP explicitly mentioned that the sent folder was present in webmail (as expected) but not the outbox folder as in outlook.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Babi
Dabbler

Thank you for that.  I didn't realise that an Outbox was not available in Plusnet.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is not so much “not available” but a folder / feature which does not exist on an IMAP server.  It is solely a client side concept for transient emails.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Townman wrote:
The OP explicitly mentioned that the sent folder was present in webmail (as expected) but not the outbox folder as in outlook.

@Townman  If you really want to split hairs..... then  you should know what you are talking about....

The O.P, did NOT explicitly mention the "sent folder" was present

Quote.....

Using my Plusnet account directly, I have all the 'folders' one would expect for sending and receiving emails but no Outbox.

UNQUOTE.

I am not "aux fait" with OUTLOOK, or other email clients.. I was merely trying to be helpful , suggesting that the name "OUTBOX"   coud also be called "sent" ......

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

"I have all the 'folders' one would expect for sending and receiving emails but no Outbox. Could someone please tell me how to rectify this problem."

I think the user clearly knew what they meant.

Babi
Dabbler

Thank you both for your comments, which have led me to understand the difference between Outlook and the problem I thought I was having with sending emails in Plusnet.

I now understand what is going on but can't help thinking that it is quite useful to have a Sent box as well as an Outbox when experiencing problems when an email gets 'stuck'.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

For information...

Outbox is very much a client side concept, not a server-side consideration.

Your mail folders are held on the (inbound) IMAP server and are sync'd (replicated) to your email client.  Your email client might also have some local (offline) folders.

When you send an email from an email client, some place the email in a LOCAL folder (sometimes called outbox) for when the client next does a send / receiver action.  The send action communicates with the SMTP server, where there are no folders to store anything.

If the send is successful, the email is copied to the sent items folder on the IMAP server.

If the send fails, it remains in the client outbox ... if the send failed (unable to communicate with the SMTP server) then it is fairly likely that communication with the IMAP server will also be impossible ... meaning it is not practical to place unsent items in a server side outbox folder if such were to exist.

in other words, having "an Outbox when experiencing problems when an email gets 'stuck'" would be of no help ... when its not possible to communicate with the SMTP / IMAP servers.

HTH?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Townman  in your nit-picking way.. you have just shot yourself in the foot.

@Townman wrote:

My response to that hairsplitting post showed that

The O.P, did NOT explicitly mention the "sent folder" was present

Trying to justify your scathing comment about my post... ....

you then re-posted the OP. statement...

and qualified it with

I think the user clearly knew what they meant.

which, again,..... shows that the OP did not explicitly mention the "sent folder" ...as stated by you....

and as you so clearly stated.... "the user clearly knew what they meant....

however, it was not clear to the reader,... which is where I came in... and you jumped on me, for suggesting an alternative name for Outbox..

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

OP issue is resolved and further posts will not add anything. Thread locked. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'